1.8 | 마 음

H E A R T

»»-------------¤-------------««

Has it ever occured to you just how deep, how ingrained in our souls is this utterly human need to believe in the impossible - this desire in every one of us; this inane yet fervent wish to do the things we can't?

Like how we craft these ships that can breathe underwater when we couldn't; or how we built airplanes and hot air balloons and rockets, just so we can defy the stars even though we were never meant to soar at all.

Yet it's in everyone's essence, I think, to long for the things that exist only in the deepest of our daydreams. It is in all of us, and it is inherent, and so we love beyond our limits.

And that is what you are to me.

You exist as my winged contraption, my secret I keep in the quiet corners of my mind; the relentless yearning I feel when it's four in the a.m and I can't sleep.

And so it goes - I couldn't reach you, could never even dream to, because you are the heavens above me, and I was never meant to fly in the first place.

And, I think, that might be why Jeon Jungkook was a turning point somewhere down the line; because he was the one who anchored me to the ground.

He showed me that I didn't need to fly to reach the stars, because he plucked them right out of the skies and into my hands.

But the future is yet to happen, and now is now, and all him and I amounted to in this second were strangers meeting once again under a metallic blue bus stop, dawn's breeze kissing our cheeks into shades of pinkish red.

"Banana boy-" I exclaimed.

"Banana milk-" he started.

A pause hung in the air as our sentences collided, and we both froze for a second before laughing.

In the brief moment where he chuckled, I noted that it sounded like the lilting sound of piano keys.

"It's you," I repeated, in awe, "from the store!" Turning concerned, my hands flitted nervously in my lap. "Did your stomach hurt? I really did feel bad."

Shaking his head, he grinned up at me - and the brightness lining his face took me off-guard. As if I was staring right into the sun itself.

"I'm fine, I'm fine. But, it does look like you owe me something," he remarked with a grin, shifting in his seat to fully face me now. Tufts of his caramel hair lifted slightly in the gentle phantom wind of the six a.m sunrise.

Something in my heart responded in a small little tug.

Backlit by the glowing sun's halo, he seemed to light up as he continued to speak, oblivious that he had just turned into art in human form:

"Well, two things, actually - a banana milk, and a proper introduction. I'm Jeon Jungkook, how about you?"

Ebony doe eyes found mine as he peeked at me from under his short lashes, expectant and waiting for my answer.

I fumbled, unsure of what to say. I had always hated small talk, hated to err on the side of awkwardness. This you know, which was why you were the one who introduced me to the other boys and Chae-won as well.

But now, I'm on my own.

"Uh, well, first of all, it's really nice to meet you." Internally, I winced at how lame and utterly, completely generic my words sounded - but he didn't seem to mind. Instead, a corner of his lips perked up into a cute bunny smile.

"My name is Go Eun-byul, but you can call me Byul," I finished.

Heartbeats passed in the seconds between my words and his, enough to make my mind marvel at the strange warmth in my stomach, all because of the way he was looking at me.

His gaze was lingering a little too long, his chin now cupped in one of his hands that rested on his knee.

But it was the smile etched on his face that undid me; because it was as if he was watching the sun rise in my eyes.

And it made me feel special.

Of course, I know it could've probably just been my imagination or my tendency to over-exaggerate, but my heart responded anyway, the foolish thing it was.

At last, Jungkook spoke, his slightly husky voice carefully pronouncing the syllables of my name as if it was a melody he's hearing for the first time.

"Go Eun-Byul."

Unwittingly, that was the moment the spark between us started to grow into livewire.

Not just because of the way he looked at me, but also in the way the syllables of my name rolled off his tongue like cream-coated coffee, easy and smooth - as if he's always meant to utter it all along.

»»-------------¤-------------««

A/N: i'm back (at least, for now)! university exams has finished and my three-weeks break has started so i'm writing again - although i haven't started replying anyone or comments yet, i'll do that tomorrow - and it feels so, so good. :')

thank you for sticking around, thank you for the kind comments i've received, and i apologize for being a late updater! but i wrote this chapter from the depths of my heart (hee title reference), so please do share your thoughts, it's a chance for me to improve! thank you for reading. ♡

p.s a lot of you have been asking who chae-won is; and as of right now, she's just another friend in the circle. i thought it was a bit unrealistic for byul to not have any female friends so yeah! :)