1.1 | 여 자

G I R L

»»-------------¤-------------««

On a cloudless Sunday morning where the cerulean blue of the sky seems to rival that of the sea, I made my way towards the neighborhood's park just two streets away from my home.

It was the day after I'd bumped into the boy with the banana milk, and I'd wanted to call you up earlier to tell you all about how funny the situation was.

But you didn't answer - maybe because you were still sleeping, and so I was hesitant to wake you up.

So I decided to paint instead, and gathered up my canvas and acrylic paints you gifted me into an easel bag before heading towards the park by myself.

To my surprise, when I arrived a few minutes later, I saw you there.

It was a small, secluded area - the cozy park was limned with spring-laden trees bursting with cherry-pink flowers and a few wooden benches scattered around at various points. In the center stood a tiny wishing fountain, adorned with long-faded frescoes and multi-colored tiles.

You were seated on one of the benches in the further end, looking like you're waiting for something.

Or someone.

A loose-fitting, oversized purple sweater draped over your form, making you look as soft as a flower's petal. Your blonde hair was mussed, the slight wind drifting through the strands.

You looked adorable.

My heart bouncing against the sky, I was about to rush over to you, ready to greet you with a hug.

But I never got to - because she appeared then.

From the other side of the park, a girl in a summer dress called out your name, catching both your attention and mine.

My feet paused as I watched her run to you.

She was as beautiful as the spring flowers; her hair an ebony of curls cascading on her shoulder, her face bright and free.

I am nothing like her, was my first thought.

She must be something to you, was my second.

Because while it may just be a trick of the early morning light or a product of my imagination, I swore I saw your eyes soften as she reached where you sat.

And then I saw you stand up to greet her, the smile on your face friendly and warm and blinding.

In that moment, dread was a patch of flowers that bloomed in my lungs, its deadly scent suffocating my ability to breathe.

I didn't know whether to stay or go - you hadn't noticed me, your gaze on her the entire time as the two of you started to talk.

Try as I may, I couldn't make out what both of you had said to each other. Whatever it was that the girl did, though - it had made you laugh that special laugh you have, the one where your eyes crinkle at the sides.

The one that you always make whenever I'm with you.

Jealousy seizing my heart, I decided to approach the two of you. Maybe I could talk to you, ask you who she was. Maybe then I could soothe this irrational ache in my heart.

But I only made it a few steps before I stopped.

Because what you did next was to take a small step forward and hug her, a tight embrace that lasted for longer than necessary.

And I felt as if my world's axis had tilted to the side, just a little bit.

Because that day was the first time I saw the signs of your feelings - but it wasn't for me.

It was for her.

»»-------------¤-------------««

A/N: please tell me what you think, honest feedbacks/criticisms are always appreciated. i love you! :)