Familiar Faces

Makenzie Dahl

I was thankful that for now we didn't get sorted by gender. We were all grouped together like cattle. That's how it was all day. At night we would sleep in different cells. The only thing that was separated by gender was was the bathroom. We were told the reason why we were all mixed together was because we couldn't reproduce because of how young we were. Once we hit puberty we had to have special surgeries, making it so we could never reproduce even if it were an accident.

There was an age limit for "Puberty Testing" as they called it. The girls had to be at least 12 or get their period, the boys were thirteen. Once we were those ages or got that thing, we were violated. The girls would have to strip down to check for blood and breasts. The boys had their own test. They also checked our faces for acne.

Two days after I first got in, Jake got thrown into my cell. "You're not a girl." He looked at me.

"No shit. Hey, you're-"

"Elaina's friend, Makenzie." How was it possible we both ended up in the same place after getting seperated? Since leaving Elaina's neither of us thought we would see each other or anyone else we knew ever again. God had a plan, we would figure it out.

Both Jake and I were in the general Co-Ed prison together until he hit puberty. I didn't see him much after his Test. While my chest grew, I never bled. I was stuck in the same place for a very long time. They ran all sorts of tests. They thought I was the beginning of the end of the Disorder, but what they didn't realize was this wasn't a heredity disease. It didn't get passed from generation to generation. It was mental. It was something you would either get by trauma or just because that's how shit worked. They took our meds away and increased our trauma experiences. All of us got worse. More people came into the prisons.

Jake got into a lot of fights, I kept to myself as much as I could. Jake got put into Isolation. But he didn't have long, he left early at age fourteen and got sent to a Higher Security Prison for being so violent. Although we lived in the same sell, we didn't get close at all.

More faces came and went through the cell I was in. I never bothered remembering people's names. But there was one name I would always remember.