Cake - For lack of a better partner

For lack of a better partner by DaddyAshton

Found on Archiveofourown.org

-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Luke giggled, slapping Calum’s chest gently. “Shut up you dick.” He muttered quietly, trying not to wake the rest of the boys. Ashton and Michael had gone to sleep hours ago in their respective bunks, both completely tuckered out from being on stage. Luke didn’t blame them, they’d both played their hearts out that evening, and of course so had Luke and Calum. The difference was Luke and Calum had also been chugging energy drinks before and after the show, and they were now hardwired and not sleepy in the slightest.

After their show, Luke had climbed into his bunk and turned on his laptop, deciding maybe he’d watch a movie or two before even attempting sleep. After only the first few minutes of watching Now you see me for the hundredth time, he was startled by his curtain being pulled back. Within seconds, Cal had climbed in next to him. “Sup Lukey?” He asked, moving under Luke’s covers – uninvited. Luke shrugged, gesturing to the movie and silently handing the older boy one of his earbuds before pressing play again.

They’d lain there, watching that movie and a couple more including Calum’s favourite, Skyfall for a few hours before realizing that it was way past two in the morning and they needed to get to bed. Luke quickly stashed his laptop and raised an eyebrow at the other boy. “You gonna stay or..?” He asked, trying to mask his hope with a smirk. It wasn’t that Luke didn’t want to sleep alone, because he was used to that. Crashing on couches and in hotel rooms whenever possible. But whenever he was this close to Calum he was always a little reluctant to give it up. To Cal it probably seemed normal, sure because he was clingy with michael and even more so with Ash, but the younger boy felt – and hid – much more than he let on for the dark haired boy.

“Sure,” Calum said simply a small smile barely visible on his face in the dim of Luke’s bunk. A little bit of light filtered in from the moon shining through a crack in the curtains covering Luke’s window and though it was hard, if you tried you could make out a few features on each of the boys. Luke tried to suppress his rush of happiness at Calum’s confirmation.

They lay there, neither of them really all that sleepy still, chatting and joking. Every so often they’d tease one another poke fun at each other like they always did. “Oh come on,” Calum whispered back at Luke. “You know it’s true, the girls want me more, face it.” Luke laughed and continued calling him a dick, even though it was a joke. In all honesty, Luke didn’t care who the girls fancied, even though Calum was probably right.

They calmed down for a while just listening to each other’s breathing. No one had much else to say for a long pause. The stretch of silence went on for so long that Luke would have guessed that Calum had fallen asleep if he hadn’t known better. Calum snored, loudly. 

 “You know…” Calum said quietly eventually. “It kinda sucks, being on tour like this, never pausing for long enough to do anything.”

Luke turned his head so he was gazing at the dark haired boy, who was staring straight up, suddenly fascinated with the ceiling. “What?”

 “I mean, like…” Calum sighed. It was clear he didn’t know to express what he was thinking. “With the girl thing. We go so many places but we never meet anyone new. And if we do we don’t have time enough to actually you know, get close to them.”

The blonde tugged his lip between his teeth, thinking and letting Calum finish his thought. “And you know how much I hate hooking up with girls in clubs, that’s gross and no fun.” He said and for a moment it sounded like he was done, so Luke thought about how to respond to that.