9

Your pov
School that day was tense and awkward since I wasn't quite sure if that Abby girl was serious about wanting to be friends. I was tense during class while waiting for that bell to ring signaling that it was time for lunch and when it did ring I sat there motionless. Seconds later Abby came bursting through the door.
"Y/n! It's lunchtime!" She screamed as she bounded inside. Some of my classmates gave us curious looks since this was the first time someone resembling a friend had come to visit me. Abby basically skipped over to my desk and pulled me roughly out of my chair as she grabbed my bag and pulled me out towards the school gardens where small groups of students were already gathered enjoying lunch. Abby sat me down under one of the trees before plopping down next to me and pulling out a plastic bag full of hard pretzels that she then began to munch on.
"Is that all you have for lunch?" I asked her. She wiped away the crumbs from her plump lips before smiling at me with her big toothy grin.
"They're my favorite." She said holding out the bag for me to take some. I politely declined and she went back to eatting as we watched a group of boys play soccer on the grass. They must have been pretty bad at it because every couple of minutes they would accidentally kick the ball over to us and the oldest of the boys would come over and apologize to us and retrieve their ball. It took a couple of times for me to realize that they were doing it on purpose so they could talk to Abby. When I told her this she smiled and shrugged at me.
"Why do you assume it's me? They could be wanting to talk to you."
"Two reasons. One: they aren't talking to me, just you, and two: I'm not pretty enough to warrant their attention."
"You're pretty Y/n, you just need to put in a bit more effort for people to notice."
I hummed in response. In all honesty the idea of dressing up and wearing makeup and stuff was unappealing. Who cares if others thought I looked plain, I like myself the way I am. I looked back at Abby who was staring at the guys playing on the field. I still don't see why she wants to be friends with me considering that we are polar opposites of each other. She's a girly girl with a lot of personality while I'm.....well I'm just little old me. Nothing important.
Abby finished off her bag of pretzels and turned to face me.
"We should have a study party!" She said excitedly out of nowhere.
"But we aren't even in the same class."
"Who cares. Study party's are actually meant for studying, they are just a good excuse to hang out and goof off. I'll come to your house tomorrow and we can 'study' together!"
"I can't tomorrow. I have plans."
"Like what? Is it a date?" She asked with an evil grin.
"What? No. It's nothing like that. I'm just hanging out with an old friend."
"Ok, fine. Then we will hang out on Wednesday. No buts!"
"Fine. I'll send you my address." I muttered as the school bell rang and Abby practically sprinted back to her class leaving me alone in the garden. Damn that girl was just a giant ball of energy. I packed up the remains of my lunch and followed behind.

Time skip:
I stood in my bedroom staring at the remains of my pulled apart closet. I wanted to look nice tomorow when I met Max. I didn't know why I just wanted to. The only problem was that I lacked this little thing called style. Most of my clothes were neutral colored pants and shorts and what few dresses I had I hadn't worn in years. I wish I knew someone with a good sense of style. Oh wait, I do. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and called one of the contacts.
Ring ring. Ring ring. Click.
"Abby speaking. Who is this?"
"Hey Abby it's Y/n."
"You better not be calling to cancel our study party."
"No I'm not. I just wanted some advice."
"On what?"
"Clothes."
"Really?!" I could hear the excitement in her voice as she was squeezing over the phone. "Are you going to dress up? Do you have a date? Oh please wear a dress. You would look so cute in a dress."
"I don't have a date, I'm just going to meet a guy. Also I can't wear a dress because all the dresses I own are old and shabby."
"Don't worry about it. Come to school in your normal clothes tomorrow and I will bring you a dress to wear."
"Really? You would do that for me?"
"Of course! We are friends after all. Anything for my bestie." She giggled over the phone and I couldn't help but also stifle a chuckle as I thanked her and hung up the phone. Tomorrow wasn't a date. It was just two old friends hanging out. That was it. Nothing more. So why was I so nervous? Why is my heart beating so fast? I groan and flop down on my bed allowing my phone to fall down beside me.
"It's not a date." I said out loud.