The Girls, the Knife and the Darkness Part 2

Someone had coughed. Ella screamed at the top of her lungs, which wasn't usual since she had more of a quiet personality, and a shrill screech coming from Sarah. Their high pitched voices pierced everyone's ears, and Arianna bursted out, bawling hysterically. Mia clutched the knife tighter in her hand and screamed "STOP!" Everyone immediately stifled their sounds, and silence, again, came over them. Mia then spoke in a voice of pain, "Admit it." Still, no one spoke a word, not that she was really expecting anyone would. After all, admitting it, could cost you your life. She knew that all too well. She turned on the flashlight. The light was currently dim, yet provided enough light for a vision. She walked over to Sarah. "Was it you?" She said in a voice both menacing and calm. She then continued, "You have been acting strange..." The hand with the knife began to tremble, as if in an earthquake. Sarah, shocked at Mia's behavior, shook her head frantically, still staring at the shaking knife as if it was already attacking her. Mia turned away sharply, now facing Olivia. Olivia screeched, "IT WASN'T ME, I SWEAR!!! PLEASE!" She then began to sob hysterically. Mia's face was stone cold, yet on the inside her heart broke. She turned away again, now facing the back of Ella. Ella faced the wall in a sitting position. She made no sound, and was still. Mia walked over to touch her shoulder when Ella turned her head to Mia. Her eyes seemed slightly dull, and her hair seemed to be ripped out in some places. They saw clumps of the brunette's thick hair in her hands and on the floor. Mia broke at that moment, for without knowing who coughed... She wanted to know who had coughed, with a desire greater than she had felt before. She started pointing the knife at everyone, screaming, "WHO DID IT?! WHO COUGHED?! IT'S BEEN 30 MINUTES!!! THERE IS STILL TIME!!! WHO DID IT?!!!!" Arianna glanced at Ava. Tears welled in her eyes, and they both returned their gaze to Mia. Everyone saw the look in the teenager's eyes, a look of pain, bordering on insanity.

Yet, all Mia could see was her own hands clutching her mother as her eyes glazed over, and her pulse stopped. A trickle of blood came from her mom's mouth, and Mia screamed in pain, almost physical in her heart. All around her people dropped like flies, and bodies of people once lively were now lifeless. That image was forever imprinted in her mind. The coughs from all around her were all she could hear. The knife in her hand now pointed at Ava. Ava stood up in an aggressive manner and looked at Mia with a threatening glare. Mia said quietly "It was you, wasn't it, huh Ava." She was saying it as a statement, not question. Ava immediately got defensive, her stance changed, ready to fend off an attack, or start one. Ava then said "Why haven't you asked Ella, huh? Huh?" Mia said sarcastically "Sure, change the subject. Please. Ella is not the one who coughed. She wouldn't hide it... But you on the other hand, would. Remember how you kept the secret of your lack of a house, because you were so embarrassed?" Arianna cried out, "Please, Mia... I was right next to Ava. It wasn't her, I swear." Mia ignored this and said to Ava, "Just admit it."

Ava snarled at her lunging at the knife in her hand. Olivia proceeded to scream, and Sarah ran over to try to pull them apart. Ella simply stated in a dull tone, "It's been one hour since the cough... One hour." Ava repeatedly punched Mia, Mia tackled Ava, and Sarah just barely restrained the hand with the knife. Olivia screamed louder when Arianna joined in, trying her best to keep the two at bay, yet her efforts were in vain for Mia shoved her into the wall, causing her head to bleed. Just the sight of blood increased panic of everyone, and the tensions of the fight were not stable either. Olivia rushed to Arianna's side, and Sarah managed to separate Mia and Ava. The two went to opposite sides of the room. Ava now had possession of the knife, and the flashlight began to flicker. Sarah rushed for the spare batteries, but by the time she remembered where they were, the room was in total darkness. She fumbled around the case, finally managing to retrieve one. She said to Mia, "I have the batteries. Can I have the flashlight?" Mia reluctantly gave her it, and merely said "Give it back after." Ava rushed to Arianna. The cut was not deep, or long, but Arianna was clearly upset, and hurt. She looked up at the short ceiling, and the wood on it similar to the hard wood of the floor. She noticed Ava's blonde hair covered her eyes, clearly hiding tears to one who knew her well. Olivia finished putting a band aid over Arianna's pale, fragile skin.

Then, as the room was still in the dark, they heard another cough. Ava rushed in the black to Arianna's side, and grabbed her by the hand. Sarah began to sob, and Olivia longingly looked in the direction of the knife. She knew with it, she would be in control. No one could accuse her... and she was the one in charge. Yet, she also didn't want to start another fight. She knew how scared they all were because she felt the same way. She couldn't bare the anger the felt for each other.

Mia knew this was her opportunity to regain the knife in the dark. Yet, right before she could stealthily creep across the room, Sarah turned on the flashlight. A wave of strange relief washed over Arianna. Light. The sweet sensation of vision. She could see the dainty freckles on Olivia's face. She could see the illuminated cracks in the grey paint on the walls. Ava looked at Arianna, able to see the terror in her best friend's green eyes.