The Girls, the Knife, and the Darkness Part 6

Olivia didn't see it that way. The only thing she could see was them waiting, for Ella, a little longer. What if Ella could have survived long enough for them to get the cure to her? If scientists could have it, and Ella were still alive now, she could've made it. She could still be with them. Ella should be alive, and Arianna should too. That was even less justified, for Arianna had done nothing wrong. She tried to save whoever had coughed by taking the blame herself, and although Olivia blamed herself for Arianna's death, she also blamed Mia for both the deaths. So this rage was as fiery as Ava's initial anger, but worsened from the added grief of Ella. Although she didn't know Arianna as well as Ava, the loss stung worse than a wasp.

The flashlight illuminated Olivia's face in a way that highlighted her dark bags, her matted, flaming red hair, and her outraged expression. All she could think was how two of her friends were killed - for no reason. Mia tried to calm her down again. She used to be able to do it, but Olivia was too furious. But, instead of taking her anger out on Mia, she collapsed, and she cried. It felt so good. To let it all go. She had been wanting to do this since the beginning, and she finally did. Sarah ran over and hugged her around her shoulder. The two sat there, Sarah watching Olivia, and squeezing her tight, and Olivia on her knees, hysterically crying. Ava watched with a strange sense of envy, and sorrow. She wanted to be able to hug Arianna like that. Yet, all she could hug was a lifeless version of her. Ava decided she couldn't stand Arianna's body anymore. She had to burn it, however much the sight would pain her. The flashlight continued to light the whole room because of the position Mia had put it in. At this point, Olivia despised the knife she held, and wanted to be ride of it. She wanted to be ride of the bodies, blood, and memories. As did Ava and Sarah. Ava was clearly most wounded by Arianna though.

Sarah started to reflect on her past, and how it could've led to this. She recalled her parents abandoning her at the orphanage. "Mommy, please don't leave me. Mommy, please!" Yet her mother strictly walked away in an orderly manner, without looking back once. Her father did the same, but at least from him she heard a sniffle. Although she could never really know, she liked to believe he was crying about leaving her. The next years of her life were awful, filled with abuse from the orphanage keeper, and the older boys constantly beating her up. Then she remembered her salvation, which brought back her hope and her friends. Olivia was the first one she met, and they were always the closest. They first encountered each other when Sarah started school again, after being put in the foster system. Those people eventually adopted her, but were just as cruel as other adults had always been to her.

Sarah spoke out, "It's time for us to leave. You heard the news. There could be a cure. We should get out of this wretched place." Mia quickly responded, "No. I still hear coughs on the outside. We cannot leave until we know for sure. I'd rather be safe than sorry.'' Ava chimed in, "And look where that got us? YOU KILLED TWO OF OUR FRIENDS!!! Now, they aren't safe, they are dead, and YOU SHOULD BE SORRY!! BUT YOU'RE NOT!!! YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!" Olivia cried harder at the word dead, and Ava regretted the use of it so harshly. "That's IT! We have to get out of here. Or... at least get rid of Ella and Arianna." Words Sarah could never dream she would speak had just escaped her lips. They all looked back. Ever since they moved Arianna to near the wall, they had wished they hadn't. Her body slouched against the wall, and her closed eyes gave almost the appearance of sleep. In a way, she was asleep. Just for a long time. Forever.

Ava up to this point hadn't let it sink in that Arianna was gone. She couldn't. She wanted to believe it was all a dream, and she would wake up, and they would be at a sleepover, and she could once again laugh with her best friend. But she couldn't. It wasn't a dream. They took out a lighter, and moved Ella and Arianna next to each other. Slowly Sarah lit the bottom of their feet. Their bodies eventually caught fire, and Ava screamed. "NO! ARIANNA!!! PLEASE NO!!! GET HER OUT OF THERE! NO!!!!"

Arianna's eyes burned. She saw Ella, her friend, next to her. Ella ran over and hugged her. They both knew they were dead. They just didn't need to say it. Silently they grabbed each other's hands in mutual comprehension. They both then looked directly into the blinding light. Together, they walked toward it.

Ava continued to scream as her friend burned to ashes, and Sarah and Olivia restrained her. Ava would easily get burned, or her stitches could sear from the heat. "LET ME GO!!!! I HAVE TO GET HER OUT!!!! ARIANNNA! PLEASE, I NEED TO SAVE HER! SHE'S BURNING, PLEASE!" She broke free of their arms holding her back and ran into the ragging fire. The smoke stung her eyes, and her stitches started to burn. She screamed in agony as her arm caught fire, but she saw Arianna's face. She grabbed underneath her arms, and dragged her out of the fire. Arianna had scorch marks covering her torso, and Sarah grabbed a towel. She patted down Ava's arm.