The Girls, The knife and Darkness part 7

A new velvet stain spreaded around Ava's stitches as a few came undone. The sheer pain left Ava unconscious.

Sarah started digging into the supplies that were in the shed no one had payed attention to. Then, in a decaying old wood box she found an axe, with a blade sharp. She walked up to a wall, and just then it dawned on Mia what she was doing. "STOP!" She screamed, but Sarah made the first blow. She swung her arms back again, and slammed the axe into the wall.

BAM. A gaping hole was forming where Sarah had struck it for the first time.

BAM. Mia ran to grab it from her, but Olivia was quick enough to hold Mia back.

BAM. Ava's heartbeats were synchronized with the timing of the axe hitting the wall as she lay on the ground next to Arianna.

BAM. Olivia had her hands squeeze Mia's wrists keeping Sarah alone to finish the job.

BAM. Beads of sweat dripped into Sarah's eyes, stinging them in the process, but her swings still had a steady rhythm as she struck the wall.

BAM. The effort it took Sarah began to weaken her arms, and she felt as if the axe weighed a million tons.

BAM. Sarah was so weakened by the effort she could barely see straight as stars began to could her vision.

BAM.

Sarah finally dropped the axe. A hole large enough to walk through was left. There before them all was a beam of sunlight. None of their eyes were accustomed to the sheer brightness. It was like a baby finally being born and seeing brightness. All of them squinted. Then, sounds flooded all their ears. Police sirens wailed loudly, and there was no coughing. Everything looked desolate. The ground was arid, yet covered with flies and rotting corpses. As Sarah carefully stepped out, she realized almost everyone was dead. There were virtually no survivors. She ran back inside to Ava and lifted her up. She carefully slung her over her shoulder. She grabbed Olivia's hand. Mia trailed along behind them silently sulking, and staring up with an angry glare.

The forefront girls picked up the pace toward the noise of the police sirens. Soon, they were at a sprint, and rushing toward the road. They ran through the forest, Sarah barely slowed down by Ava's weight. Olivia blurted out, "I SEE THE POLICE CAR! C'MON, LET'S GO!" They ran toward with speed faster than ever before, even Mia in a rush to keep up. They stumbled out of the forest into the cracked pavement of the road.

"I don't think anyone is alive." The two police sat casually in the car in deep conversation. They kept the siren on, but stopped driving. The wheels were stained red from countless times of hitting a dead body.

"You're probably right. We should move on to the next town." But right before he turned the ignition, they heard a shout. "What was that?" They turned around to see a small group of teenage girls frantically crying out, and running toward their car. "Holy shi...! Let's go get them! GO!" The other police quickly reversed toward them, and pulled up right next to them. They unlocked the door, and noticed one girl had another over her shoulder. The girls collapsed right into the car. One was clearly injured around her rib, and the other three looked malnourished and extremely exhausted. Their skin was pale as the freshest snow, covered in small cuts or bruises, and their eyes were all filled with pain beyond their years. Joe, one of the police, began to talk. "It's all going to be okay now. I promise." They began to head down an unfamiliar path, and each of the awake girls slowly fell into sleep.

Sarah slowly began to wake up. The place she was in looked eerily like a hospital. And it was. It was mostly abandoned besides the few doctors and nurses who had survived the epidemic. Government protections were set up all around, and panic began to take over Sarah. She threw off the blanket, and tried to stand up, but a nurse ran over, and pushed her back down. Sarah threw the lady's hands off her, and pulled the needle out of the inside of her elbow. She felt a quick shot of pain, but ignored it. Her only thoughts were on Ava and Olivia. The nurse gasped, and pulled out a walkie talkie. She muttered something incomprehensible, and Sarah heard a few crackles. A few government agents poured into the room. Sarah tried to run past them, but they lifted her up. There was almost no fight left in her. Drowsiness began to take over again, and her last thought was on her friends as she was lad back down on the bed