[7]

When Taehyung and Jisoo woke up from a long rest they were both hungry and sore

When Taehyung and Jisoo woke up from a long rest they were both hungry and sore. They were also covered in a layer of muck and filth after nearly drowning in quicksand. So they slowly made their way over to the lake which was full of clean, drinkable water.

"Is it safe?" Jisoo asked as they approached the lake.

"I don't see anyone around, but they could be waiting to ambush us." He groaned.

"So what should we do?"

"I'm going in anyway," he told her. "You wait till I give you the sign. Once I've looked around and nobody tries to kill me I'll let you know it's safe."

"Be careful!" Jisoo whispers as he runs out into the open.

Taehyung stumbled to the lake's edge and looked around. He didn't spot anyone hiding among the trees and no one came out. After waiting a minute just to be sure he bent down on his knees and scooped a handful of water into his hands and drank from it. The water was cool and refreshing.

He wanted more but wanted Jisoo to have some too. Standing back up he looked around one more time to be safe and then gave Jisoo the hand signal the two had agreed on earlier. A few seconds passed before she came running toward him.

"It's safe," he told her. "I think if anyone was waiting to ambush someone they'd have attacked me by now." He bent back down to get another drink and Jisoo did the same. After he had his fill he splashed the water on his face. Remembering how dirty he was he walked out into the water far enough that it was up to his neck.

"Cold! Cold! Cold!" he repeated as he tried to wash the muck off himself despite the freezing cold water. Jisoo was right behind him doing the same but managed to keep quiet except for the occasional whimper she couldn't manage to suppress.

Because of the cold they didn't last more than a few minutes. They sat on the grass beside the lake as they tried to warm themselves up. Just then Jisoo nudged Taehyung. "Taehyung look," she said stuttering. "I think I see someone on the other side of the lake!"

The blonde looked over to where she was pointing and could see what looked like a body lying on the ground beside the lake. They hadn't noticed it earlier because it was on the exact opposite side of the lake. The sight interested Taehyung, but not in a good way.

"It's probably a dead body." He said. "Someone probably killed that guy and the body's been left there."

"Are you sure?" Jisoo stood up to get a better look. "Maybe we should go take a look."

"Well it can't hurt," he conceded. Jisoo took the lead and they slowly walked around the lake toward the body. As they got closer they could see the body better and the sight shocked Taehyung. He suddenly ran past Jisoo toward the body.

"Jennie!" He called out. At this range he could easily distinguish her long brown hair that she always kept neat now dirtied. She was lying on her stomach with her face down in the grass only inches away from the water. Fear gripped Taehyung's stomach at the sight of the blood covering one of her arms. The rest of her however seemed intact.