5 - Just Friends

The meal was very good. After mostly only eating meat for the past week, it was amazing to have so many vegetables mixed in. I noticed, with half an eye, how Zane made sure to pick out most of his vegetables from his meal. He's such a child, I thought wearily. My taste in men was horrible. I silently took his unwanted food and gave him more of my meat in exchange. He said nothing, just patted the top of my head, before going back to his meal.

Back in the room, Zane had a bath sent up, paying a little extra for it. It was my first bath since the night at the lake and I was becoming super nervous. I had promised that he could stay, but that meant he'd be in the same room with me while I was naked. Technically he had seen me naked already, but that had been in the dark. That had been during a very tense, crazy, emotional moment. Now, we would be left alone, with candlelight to illuminate the room. If he turned his head, he'd be able to see everything.

I hid my shaking hands behind my back as Zane carried in a large tub, helping out the servant girl and a woman I assumed was the innkeeper's wife. They were bringing up buckets of hot water. Needing something to do, I started helping. Between the four of us, we had the tub filled in ten minutes. The women left some herbal mixtures for me to use, along with a towel. Grateful, I waved as they left, thanking them. Zane quietly closed the door. He turned to me, his expression made of stone.

I bit my lip. "O-okay...So...turn around and do not look, no matter what," I ordered.

I thought I saw a flash of laughter in his eyes, but he turned so quickly, I figured it must have been the candlelight. I had to take in several deep breaths before turning away from him. Walking further into the room, where the tub was, I slowly removed my clothes. Cautiously, I lifted a foot, touching the water with my big toe. "Oh!" I cried out. "That's certainly warmer than the lake," I muttered. Slowly, very slowly, I eased my way into the tub. "Mmhmm," I couldn't help the moan as I felt the hot water start to take away the tension in my muscles. I leaned back against the tub. I had made sure that my body would be facing away from Zane, just in case he did try to turn around or sneak a peek. "This feels amazing," I murmured as I lowered myself further into the hot water.

"A-Ana," Zane's voice sounded a little strained. "Can you try to have a quiet bath...please?"

Blushing, I nodded. Then I remembered he couldn't see me. "Ah, y-yes. I'm sorry."

He sighed. "I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, but..."

"Yep," I said quickly. "I'll be as quiet as a mouse."

He laughed. But a few minutes later, while I moved around in the tub, washing, he let out a low groan. "How the hell is the sound of water splashing attractive?" he muttered to himself.

I froze. I had been in the middle of leaning over the tub, reaching down to grab the bar of soap, to clean my body. I waited for several tense seconds before carefully moving back down into the water. I winced at each small sound it made, lapping against my skin, moving around me.

I heard another groan.

"S-sorry," I whispered softly.

"I want you," he said abruptly, in the silence.

I let out a squeak of fright. "N-no!"

His voice was very quiet. "I know, Ana. I literally dug my own grave and made it so I can't touch you like that. But I want to. So badly, it's driving me mad."

I shook my head, not caring if he couldn't see me. "No," I said, fighting to make my voice firm.

I want you too, I whispered. But I can't let that happen. I have to remind myself that you are the Demon King each time you touch me. Each time you make me feel breathless, make my heart beat faster.