20 - Confusion

I slowly woke, but I didn't open my eyes yet. I felt two small, warm sources of heat nearby. One was sitting on my stomach, the other was very close to my head. Voices spoke, and I decided I would learn more if I stayed silent for a few minutes.

The first voice sounded incredibly weary. It has been a week already. If she does not awaken soon, I will run out of my own soul energy. I must have more souls brought for me to feast upon, if this keeps up. Fox, do as I have instructed. I don't care about the taste, just make sure you bring me at least five medium-sized life-forces. It took me two heartbeats to recognize Mina's voice. What was she doing here?

The second voice sounded miffed and worried. I am not a pet, Cat! I have told you this before, how many times must I repeat it? Shiro paused and I felt the warmth near my head shift a little. I am very worried though. I placed what protective wards I could around her, but it does not seem to be helping. Whatever has pulled her soul so far away is incredibly strong. At least at the level of the Destroyer, if not more powerful.

I shifted, moving to scratch an itch on my arm that I couldn't fight any longer. My eyes opened slowly as I did so. They were met by Mina's red-gold eyes and Shiro's midnight blue. Ana! the two of them said in unison, their voices filled with happy relief.

Half a second later, Shiro shook his head. He quickly flew out of the tent, his voice calling out. Zane! Zane, Ana is awake!

Not even two breaths later, Zane was storming into the tent. His eyes were three-toned and his expression was thunderous. "What the hell have you been doing?!" he shouted. "You have been gone for a fucking week!"

I shrank back instinctively at the sheer rage he was emitting. When he saw my reaction, he closed his mouth, his jaw clenching. But his eyes stayed the same, burning in anger. "Answer me, Ana," he demanded, his voice a little better controlled.

"I..." my voice cracked. It had been a long time since I had used it. "I w-wa..."

Zane swiftly found a water canteen before moving to sit on the bed. Shiro and Mina quickly got out of his way, moving off the bed and to the other side of the room. His arm came around my back, helping me to a sitting position. I tried to hold the canteen, but my body felt incredibly weak. He said nothing as he helped me take in a few sips. I leaned into him, trying to find the energy to tell him what had happened.

In slow, halting tones, I did. "I went back, to the past...I was with you when you got to California, the harbor town."

His brow furrowed in thought. A few seconds later, his eyes slowly shifted back to purple. "You went Doctor Who again. Damn it, Ana, I told you not to!"

"I didn't mean...to. Accident. Stone didn't...work?" This was a question because I honestly wasn't sure. "I don't know how to...go on purpose. I don't...know how to return...willingly."

He was quiet for a minute, holding me close in a hug. When he finally spoke, his tone was apologetic. "Alright. I'm sorry. I've just...I've been going crazy. You've just been lying in bed, for the past week...barely breathing...I was so terrified. Ana, you can't leave me like that. You can't...you can't leave me behind."

"If I knew how...I wouldn't do it." He helped me take another drink. I could feel my body slowly gaining some of its strength back. "I didn't seem to be in any danger. I stayed with you for a week."

He nodded shortly, his eyes filling with light. "Yes, and left me on a very...dangerous cliff." The light in his eyes turned to heat.

I flashed a smile. "You were being pushy, trying to force me to give you answers to things you were better off not knowing. None of that, for now though. I am so hungry, I think I could eat a horse."