11 - Anima-Feles

I stared behind me as I watched a young brown-haired boy, no more than ten or so, summon forth a strange beast from a bizarre...hole he created in the empty air in front of him. An old man seemed to be guiding and teaching the boy. As I watched, the beast came forward, stepping out of the portal. It was dark green, with yellow stripes. It looked like a small cat, only it had tiny black wings on its back and red eyes. It's tail ended in a curved moon-shape, like a very thin blade.

As I stared at it, it silently turned it's eyes my way. I watched, half-terrified, as its eyes began to glow a dark purple-red, almost a burgundy color, but not quite. Its pupils shifted, becoming thin and yellow, glowing. It's mouth opened to reveal a row of fangs that were like tiny daggers. It licked it's lips, drool beginning to fall from it's mouth. I felt fear fill me, unable to look away from those eyes. They held me paralyzed. I could see, feel, and hear nothing as I gazed into them.

I felt as if I was being pulled away, closer and closer to the hungry beast's mouth. Each breath, each heartbeat, was dragging me farther way. I tried to open my mouth to speak, but I realized with a start that I could barely feel my body any more.

Zane...I whispered faintly in my mind.

Two seconds later, a large rock wall burst forth from the ground between me and the beast. I heard a low hiss of outrage that didn't sound human from behind the wall, before Zane appeared in my vision. His face was bordering on rage and I watched as his eyes began to slowly shift. He was fighting it. They would start to change from brown, darken to black and the edges began to form the other two colors, before returning to brown.

Still dazed, but remembering myself enough, I reached out and grabbed his arm. "I'm...I am fine, Zane," I mumbled faintly.

He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. "Yes, now you are. If I hadn't make the pact...hadn't sensed the pull of your soul starting to leave your body..." Suddenly, he turned and the rock wall crumbled away as he did. His arm snaked out and gripped mine tightly. Before I could blink, he was storming over to the boy, beast, and old man, dragging me behind him.

Both the man and boy grew pale at the rage on Zane's face. "You will make your pact with the anima-feles and then you will apologize to my wife. Now."

Hurriedly, the two returned their attention back to the cat creature. The thing was still gazing at me, licking it's lips hungrily. I hid behind Zane, peering from behind him. I was curious, but terrified of getting too close.

"Almat, hurry. Before it causes more harm," the old man rushed the boy.

The boy nodded nervously. He took in several deep breaths before speaking, his voice sounding much calmer than he had looked less than a minute before. "Anima-feles, I have called you forth to bind our souls in a contract. You will be my familiar and I your master. We will forever be connected through this pact. I, Almat Vanest, agree to this." Slowly, at his words, the cat's eyes were pulled from me and to the boy. It's tail twitched several times at it stared up into Almat's aquamarine eyes that held a little ring of gold around the edges. Tense silence filled the air for several seconds.

I watched quietly.

Almat's gaze remained steady, though I could see a little line of sweat beginning to form along the side of his face. He seemed to be in a staring contest with the cat. Neither of them blinked for a very long time. I was beginning to suspect the cat wouldn't give in, but it finally did. Stiffly, it bent its body forward in a deep bow.

Master Almat, I shall submit to this pact. Only, though, on the agreement, that once you pass, I may have your soul to feast upon.

Cautiously, Almat nodded, allowing himself to blink. "I expected nothing less from one such as you."