24 - Change/Epilogue

My world was cracking, breaking, as my mind and soul tried to do the same. My mouth opened into a scream of anguish as I tried to fight back the death of myself. Still screaming, I scrambled further into the lake, dragging myself on the ground. I reached out and grabbed hold of his right arm. My screams were slightly muffled as more Ether got into my mouth, making me cough and choke, stopping my screams, which I was thankful for. I struggled to drag his body out, stay conscious, and keep myself together. Since I was made of magic, the Ether was beginning to eat through my skin, as my magic tried to escape from my physical body, which was the only thing keeping me alive at this point.

It took me nearly a full minute, as I fought to get the two of us out. When I finally did, I wrapped my arms around him, holding him to my chest. "Please, please...I'm so sorry. I never meant to be what killed you. I never...I..."

I coughed, growing-lightheaded. I glanced down at the Ether on my body. Despite what had been happening before, something was changing. I could feel it.

Slowly, the Ether on my body was beginning to soak into my skin. As it did, I grew more and more lightheaded. I felt faint. As I continued to watch, my skin began to glow, just slightly. I coughed again, crying, turning my attention back to Zane's still, lifeless body. "I'm...so sorry," I repeated. "I love you. I love you. I love you."

I gently brushed what little stark-white hair he had back from his face, leaning down to kiss his forehead. "I'm join you shortly, love," I told him as I felt my consciousness growing fainter. The speed with which the Ether was soaking into my skin, killing me, was increasing. I was already struggling to breathe, with how much of the stuff had gotten inside my lungs. The light that was surrounding me was growing brighter. It was getting harder and harder to make out anything. I could barely feel Zane's body against me anymore. I was loosing feeling in my limbs already. "I'll be there very soon, my love," I repeated happily. My consciousness grew even fainter, until, ten seconds later, I slumped forward and all thought stopped.

O O O

Rough hands were holding my shoulders, shaking me awake. "Wha?" I grumbled sleepily, slowly opening my eyes. The first thing I saw was bright, burning, blood-red eyes. The pupils were slit like a snake's and a bottomless black color. I blinked several times in quick succession. "What?!" I repeated, my voice stronger. The eyes pulled away a little, showing me a face that I recognized, but for the large pair of horns, four feet long, which curved to the back of the man's head, poking out from the sides of his temple. "Zane?" I asked uncertainly. The man took a few steps back from where he had been leaning over me.

He was a huge figure, at least eight feet tall. His body was covered in a thick, dark brown fur. His legs ended in goat's feet, cloven and huge. On his back were two large wings. They had no membrane, and instead of bone, looked to be made of the same thing as the Ether, silver with a faint glowing outline of purple. His entire body was surrounded by a menacing aura of black-blue shadows. Only his face looked completely human, besides his eyes and the sharp teeth that showed as he opened his mouth to speak.

His voice reflected his intimidating appearance. "Ana, you're awake!" Though there was a note of happy relief, his voice was very deep and echoed around in both the skull and in the ears.

"Zane?" I asked again, both sure and unsure that this was he.

He nodded. "Yes, its me. I know I look very different though." He flashed a quick, toothy grin. "I wonder if you'll still find me attractive, like this..."

My mind struggled to form an answer. "Is it another illusion spell? Wait...why would you even need to?"

He shook his head, letting out a breath. "Nope. In fact, this is apparently my new normal appearance. If I want to look human again, I have to cast a spell." Saying this he did.