21 - Past and Present

I wasn't sure just how long I remained, flying through the air. It felt like it was at least several hours. Shiro and I were mostly silent. He seemed preoccupied with keeping up the protective barrier that he had created around me, so I didn't want to distract him. As far as I was concerned, I had a lot to think about. With nothing else to do for the time that I was suspended in the air, I let my mind drift.

Some time later, once evening had fallen, my speed began to lower even more. The sky was darkening, but I could still make out a chain of islands. Was this Hawaii then?

Once the islands came into view, my speed lowered even more. Now I was moving at a nice, smooth pace. It gave me time to take in the beauty of the islands. Well, what I could with how dark it was becoming. I called up a ball of light to make it a little easier. My path was directed to one of the smaller islands. The western half seemed mostly flat and dry, appearing brown, even from where I was in the air. The eastern half was raised higher than the western and I could see the vibrant, lush green of a great deal of vegetation. My body started to angle to the east. Half an hour later, I had decelerated to the point that I was barely moving. I was slowly lowered to the ground beneath my feet. As soon as I was on my own feet, the overwhelming presence I felt pushing me forward dissipated.

I stared around me. It was very warm, even though night was very nearly upon the world. There seemed to be no other people, where I had been dropped off, at least. I was completely alone in a very thick forest. As I was no longer moving, Shiro came completely out of my tattoo.

He curled around himself, shaking. His voice was filled with worry, trepidation, and not a small amount of outright fear. T-the presence...it is...His voice held an edge of pain. So strong...A-Ana, we must not stay here! We have to leave now!

I swallowed, running my sweating hands down my sides. "How are we suppose to do that?"

His eyes lit up in relief and realization. I'm not yet very strong, but I can do a small amount of teleportation. I will do so now. He moved to curl around my shoulders. His tail flicked restlessly as he raised his right paw and the blue-white stone began to glow once again.

Suddenly, a light, ethereal female laugh filled the air around us. Shiro froze on my shoulder. The light of his stone swiftly snuffed out, becoming dark as suddenly as it had begun to glow. N-no...it is...it should be i-impossib-ble!

I reached up and ran my finger over his head, trying to comfort him. "Whatever that was just a second ago is stopping you, isn't it?"

He nodded, his voice shaking even more. I...I d-don-n't under-rst-tand it-t!

I inhaled and exhaled deeply. "It's okay, Shiro. Thank you for trying. I suppose all we can do is keep walking forward, for now."

His tail and ears drooped. I fail completely as your guardian protector.

I shook my head. "Shiro, you could never fail. You've been with me the entire time, keeping me safe. Besides, I need a friend right now more than I need a protector. You are my friend, Shiro, and knowing that you are here helps me more than you know."

He turned his head, his dark blue eyes wide in amazement. His voice reflected this. You...A-Ana...You see me as your friend? When I nodded, smiling, he grew quiet. But he moved a little closer to me, pressing his cheek to mine briefly before jumping off of my shoulders. He moved in front of me, floating in the air.

"So...I suppose the safest thing that we can do, for now, is try and find who has brought us here."

He glanced at me over his shoulder. V-very well. I shall guide you. This way, he murmured softly, moving off to the left.