10 - Mage College

The next few days passed by. We continued on, always walking. But at night, we knew only one another. I was beyond happy, held in his arms, holding him close as well, when we would fall asleep. My life felt complete.

It was around this time that we reached our first 'destination'.

We were striding down a main road that we had stumbled upon the day before. I was chatting with Zane, talking about nothing. Honestly, I just loved the sound of his voice, the light of his smile. I had to stop myself several times from just gazing up at him like a simpleton.

Ever now and again, I would catch sight of my black ring tattoo, or the thin blue line that crossed it. It hadn't been in the way I had expected, but somehow, I found myself bound to Zane. I was bound, in every way, to the Demon King. I was bound to the only man I had ever loved, or even felt slightly attractive to in any way. I hadn't fancied any of the men in my village.

I let out a soft breath. "I wonder where this road leads to," I mumbled, half to myself.

"The city of Hesleth, in Gres," Zane replied.

I glance back up at his face. "Have we really walked that far? Didn't we backtrack a lot, while I was traveling with the knight?"

He nodded. "We did. But while you have been sleeping, I've kept going, a few hours each night."

I blinked. I didn't have to be told he had been going at inhuman speeds. The country of Gres was located a good three months' journey from where my village was. We had only traveled about half that distance, from what I remembered. "Well, then," was all I could think to say.

Suddenly, he reached out. His right arm came around my shoulders, pulling me against his side. "Zane?" I questioned in confused surprise. He merely shook his head. A few seconds later, he began to work magic. I watched, staying quiet.

When the magic was done, his eyes were a dark brown, instead of purple. I also noticed that our markings were...faded? I wasn't sure how to describe it. I could see them, if I looked out of the corner of my eye. But any other direction made them disappear. I sighed. More illusions. In the place of my black ring, the gold band began to appear. I flexed my fingers, feeling the ring against my skin. For an illusion, it always seemed so real. A few seconds later, a sound behind us made me glance back up to the road.

A large platoon of knights was marching by. Zane pulled me to the edge of the road. The two of us quietly waited for the men to pass, getting out of their way. Several of the men nodded their thanks or briefly waved. The captain, I assumed, was riding a horse. He was barking at them to keep up their pace. From what I could tell, they were doing some sort of training exercise. I placed a polite smile on my face.

Just as the last few were starting to pass us, the captain pulled up next to us, pausing. "Sir, what business have you in Hesleth?" The man's eyes were sharp, taking in the both of us carefully. I felt my stomach twist in fear.

Zane lowered his head. "My wife and I have been traveling for many months. We plan to find an inn and enjoy the sights and food of the great city, my lord," Zane bowed. I dipped a small curtsy, remembering how I would have to do so for the few noblemen who would stop by my village on occasion.

The man gazed down at me. I began to feel a blush run across my cheeks. Knowing what I did now, as a woman, I could see and feel the lust in his eyes. I felt Zane's hand on my shoulder tighten as he saw it too. Several tense moments passed before the man nodded. "Alright then. I pray your visit goes well. Welcome to Hesleth," he called over his shoulder as he commanded his horse to follow after his men.

As soon as they were gone, I let out a breath of relief. "Stay calm, Zane," I told him. "He didn't do anything. He merely acted like a jack-ass."

His voice was hard, tense. "I know...I literally just said you were my wife...This is why I fucking hate humans. I hate people. I can't stand any of them." His hand clenched harder, pulling a small wince from me. Instantly, his grip relaxed and he kissed the top of my head. "I'm sorry, love," he sighed heavily.