Chapter 3__Bad Moon Rising

I opened the door for the vampire hunting history teacher. "Thanks for coming, RIc." 

He walked further into the house as I shut the door and Damon asked, "Can I get you something to drink? Coffee? Bourbon? Bourbon in your coffee?" 

He sat down as he said, "Elena mentioned you needed my help." 

I sat on the arm of the couch as Stefan said, "Yeah. We were hoping you could help shed some light on the Lockwood family." 

~

"Now, why would I know anything about the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Well,  you wouldn't," Damon said. "But you dead not dead vampire wife might." 

"Isobel's research from when you guys were at Duke together," Elena said. 

"You said that she had spent years researching this town," Stefan said.

"Isobel's research here in Mystic Falls is rooted in folklores and legends," Alaric said. "But at the time, I thought most of which was fiction." 

"Like that amazing vampire story," I said sarcastically, looking from Damon to Stefan.

"Aside from vampires, what else?" Elena asked.

"The lycanthrope," Alaric answered. 

"Wait, like werewolves?" I asked.

"No way," Damon said. "Impossible. Way too Lon Chaney." 

"Is it?" Stefan asked.

"I've been on this planet one hundred and sixty some odd years, never come across one," Damon said. "If werewolves exist, where the hell are they?" 

~

"Why do you suspect the Lockwoods?" Alaric asked.

"Because vervain didn't affect the mayor at Founder's Day, but the Gilbert device did," I answered.

"And it affected his son Tyler," Damon added.

"And at the school carnival, his uncle Mason exhibited inhuman behavior when he fought one of the carnival's worker," Stefan added.

~

"It suggests it's some sort of a supernatural entity," Stefan finished.

"We were hoping that Isobel's research could help us figure it out what it is," Elena said. 

"Well, all her things are still at Duke," Alaric explained. "I mean, her office is still there. She's technically still missing." 

"So can we get access to it?" Damon asked.

~

"Ric, we need to know what we are dealing with. If this wolf men thing is true, I've seen enough movies to know it's not good. It means Mason Lockwood is a real life Lon Chaney, and that little Tyler punk may just very well be Lon Chaney junior. Which means Bela Lugosi, meaning me, is totally screwed." 

Could werewolves be true? Could this be real? 

Well, if vampires were real, then why the hell not? 

~

"Are you going to the swimming hole for Tyler's party?" Stefan asked me as I walked into the living room.

I lookd toward him with confusion. "Why would I do that?" 

"For some . . . " Stefan trailed off. "Never mind. I'm going to try to convince Bonnie to make Caroline a daylight ring so she can . . . reconnect with her humanity."

"That's a good idea," I said with honest sarcasm. "That means I have the entire day alone in the house without you, Elena or Damon to get drunk and do whatever the hell I want."

Stefan gave me a small smile. "If Katherine makes another surprise visit--" 

"Don't worry," I said. "Vervain, stake, run the hell out of Dodge. Trust me, I'm getting used to that routine." 

Again, he gave me a small smile. "Okay. Call me if anything happens." 

"I'll probably have the most boring day out of all of us," I told him as he walked out of the front door.

~

For awhile after Stefan had left and the sun went down, I turned on the music, drinking as much as I wanted.

Even my drunk self was bored in just sitting there, with a bottle of Scotch and listening to "Here's to Us" by Hale Storm.

So I stood, startig to swing my hips back and forth as I drank from the bottl, then started to twirl and dance in my very own one-girl, one-person party, and loving every minute of it. 

I stopped dancing when I saw the sword hanging on the wall, pulling it down, holding it with both hands as I swung it around expertly. My mom had put me into fencing when I had been younger, and my dad had agreed just in case I needed to learn how to fight, in case this day ever came, when he wasn't here to help or guide me, and I needed to protect myself. 

I swung it forward, then back, spinning it over my head and turning around, pretending to stab something in front of me, smiling. 

I didn't know when I had passed out on the couch.