Chapter 19__Klaus

I walked downstairs as Stefan asked Andie and me, "Have you seen Elena?"

"Uh, no," I answered.

"Nope," Andie agreed before Damon stood in front of her and kissed her. "Good morning."

"Mmm, good morning," Damon said.

"Hey, where's Elena?" Stefan asked.

"I don't know, Stefan," Damon said. "It's your girlfriend. Mine's right here." He looked at Andie while I rolled my eyes, walking down the rest of the stairs. "Oh, how's the shoulder? Got time for a bite? I'm so hungry."

"Oh, it's really messy," Andie said. "Can you just use a blood bag today? I'm already late for work."

"No!" Damon pouted.

"Hey, it's me," Stefan said to Elena's voicemail. "Where are you? Call me."

I turned back to Damon and Andie. "What are you doing? She's not a wind-up toy."

Andie looked at me. "It's really none of your business, is it, Nicola?"

"Yeah," Damon said. "What she said."

I scoffed, turning around again and walking down the hall as Andie said, "I have to go to work."

"Ugh!" Damon complained. "Bye."

When I got down the hall, I stopped when I saw the basement door open, then starting to walk toward it again. "Uh, guys?"

Elena didn't . . .

I ran downstairs, Stefan and Damon following me when I got to the cell.

Elijah was gone.

"No, she didn't," Damon said.

Elena pulled the dagger out of Elijah and brought him back.

~

Stefan called Elena. "Where are you? Are you okay? Where's Elijah? Where? I'm on my way. Listen to me. He can't be trusted. He'll use you to get to Klaus. You can't do this alone."

Stefan lowered his phone as I asked, "Did she just hang up on you?"

"She did," Stefan answered.

"She's lost it," Damon said.

"If anyone can get him to help us kill Klaus, it's her," I said.

"Bonnie's the way to kill Klaus, Nikki," Damon said. "He thinks she's dead. We have a chance with.her."

"She'll kill herself in the process," I said. "Elena's looking for another way."

"Her way's going to get her killed," Damon said. "So we need to find her and stop her."

Damon stood, and so did Stefan, blocking his way as he said, "No, you need to back off."

"What?" Damon demanded.

"Look, I don't like this anymore than you do," Stefan told him. "But we need to trust her. We gotta just let her do her thing."

"That might be your plan," Damon said. "Mine's better."

Stefan grabbed his arm. "I said back off."

Whoa, I thought.

~

Alaric/Klaus went after Jenna. Stefan brought her here. She knew the truth now.

I stood in the hall as Elena walked closer. "Is Jenna okay?"

"She will be," Elena answered as Damon and Andie walked closer.

"Where do you think you're going?" Damon asked.

"Back to Elijah," Elena answered.

Damon rushed in front of her. "No."

"Get out of my way, Dam--" Elena started.

Damon grabbed her arm. "If you so much as try to take a step out of this house . . ."

"Just leave her alone, Damon," I said.

"Stay out of this, Nikki," Damon told me.

"Let her go," Stefan said as he stepped closer.

"Are you kidding me?" Damon asked. "We just got her back."

Stefan grabbed his arm. "You heard me. I said let her go."

"That's twice today you've stood in my way," Damon said. "I wouldn't try a third."

Oh, boy.

~

Elena invited Elijah in, and I led the way into the library, seeing Damon and Stefan fighting.

"Stop!" I yelled, so they broke apart.

~

Damon looked from me to Elena. "Now you've invited him in?"

"Nicola didn't, I did," Elena answered. "Elijah and I have renewed the terms of our deal."

"Really?" Damon asked.

"The three of you will come to no harm at my hands," Elijah stated. "I only ask for one thing in return."

"What?" I asked.

"An apology," Elijah answered.

"A what?" Damon asked.

Stefan walked closer. "I'm sorry for the part that I played in your death. I was protecting Elena. I will always protect Elena."

"I understand," Elijah said.

Elijah, Elena and Stefan looked at me.

I focused only on Elijah. "I'm  . . .sorry for killing you. I was angry because you were making threats toward Stefan and Damon. I'm reluctant to say that I'd do anything to keep them safe."

Stefan and Damon gave me surprised looks, but I ignored them.

"I understand completely," Elijah told me. "Thank you."

Elena looked at Damon. "The sacrifice is going to happen, Damon. Bonnie will be able to kill Klaus without hurting herself and Elijah knows how to save my life. I told you I'd find another way. And I did."

"Is that true?" Damon asked.

"It is," Elijah answered.

Damon looked at Elena. "And you're trusting him?"

"I am," Elena answered.

"You can all go to hell," Damon told us.

Damon left as Stefan looked at Elijah. "He's angry with me right now. He'll come around."

"Perhaps," Elijah said.

I didn't think so.