Chapter 10__The Sacrifice

The only way to keep Klaus away or to lure him here was to get the moonstone from Katherine, in the tomb. If Stefan and Damon went in, they would be stuck in there too.

That was why Bonnie was here. I didn't know why Jeremy was here. Again.

"I might be able to lower the tomb spell long enough for you to get in there and grab the moonstone from Katherine," Bonnie told us.

"How?" Jeremy asked. "It took both you and your Grams last time, and look what happened to her." 

"I'm well aware of what happened," Bonnie said. "I've learned a few new things." 

"Bonnie . . . " Jeremy trailed off.

She ignored the concern, looking over to Stefan. "How will you get it?" 

"She hasn't been feeding," Stefan answered. "She's weaker. We're not." 

Damon raised a glass of blood toward Bonnie. Just to prove his point.

"You wouldn't be underestimating her, would you?" Bonnie asked.

"It's a plan," Damon said. "Is it perfect?" He scoffed. "What plan is?" 

"Let me do it," Jeremy said. "I've got my ring. I can get in, get out, no spells necessary." 

"Gee, thanks, you 16-year-old child," Damon said. "Why didn't we think about that? Why are you even here?" 

I looked at Bonnie. "I've got an idea for you to maybe, oh, I don't know, better the plan and make it easier on everyone else." 

Stefan, Damon and Jeremy gave me a confused look, but Bonnie knew exactly what I meant. "Do you have anything that belongs to Katherine?" 

Damon gave Stefan a pointed look.

~

Stefan walked back into the room with a picture of Katherine. "This belonged to Katherine. Found it with her things after I thought she was dead, but it was hers." 

He handed it to Bonnie, who put it in the ceramic bowl on the table. She dipped her fingers in a glass of water, then held her hand above the bowl, letting the drops  drip into it. Flames spread instantly, Bonnie closing her eyes and starting to chant a spell. 

"What will this do?" Damon asked.

Bonnie opened her eyes as we all watched the picture burn. "I can turn the metal into ash. Blow the ashes on her, and it'll incapacitate her for a minute or two. Long enough for you to get the stone and get out." 

"And this was your idea?" Damon asked me.

"Yep," I said.

"Brillant." 

"Thanks." 

I didn't see what Bonnie wiped away from her nose.

~

Stefan and Damon walked back in the room with weapons in case we needed them, and I told them, "Still gotta get the torches." 

"Alaric's stake gun's in my trunk," Damon said. "Bonnie?" 

"Go ahead," Bonnie said. "I'm almost done." 

Stefan left, and Damon followed. I packed a few more things in a bag before following them out.

~

Stefan, Damon and I were waiting for Bonnie on top of the tomb when she came with her witch book in hand. "Sorry I'm late. I had to grab the grimoire from home."