Chapter 7__Masquerade

Caroline was in the house, shaking as Damon gave her a glass of blood. "Here." 

"I'm still shaking," Caroline said. 

She drank when Sefan walked in, asking, "What happened?" 

I looked at Caroline. "Go ahead. Tell him." I looked back at Stefan. "You're gonna love this." 

I saw Katherine today," Caroline said. 

"Where?" Stefan asked. 

"At the Grill," Caroline answered. "I just stopped by to gawk and . . . quasi-stalk Matt." 

~

"Skip the teen drama and get to it," Damon said. 

"Then I had to preend to use the bathroom even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus." 

~

Katherine wanted Caroline to deliver a message. Well, it worked. We got it. 

"What was the message?" Stefan asked.

~

To tell Damon and Stefan that she wanted the moonstone or she'd rip Mystic Falls apart until it rained blood.

"Tell him the rest of it," I said.

~

Tonight, at the masquerade ball. 

"She wantes to do it in public," Stefan said. "Killing Mason threw her off guard." 

"She's running scared," Damon said. "What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks." 

"We can't underestimate her," Stefan said. "We have to play this smarter than her." 

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline asked. She looked at me. "I know they gave it to you to hide because no one would expect it." 

I shrugged. 

"No, Katherine's not getting dick," Damon said. "I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her tonight." 

"You're not gonna kill her," Stefan said.

"Don't give us that goody-goody crap," I said. "She's tried to kill Elena, Bonnie, Jenna and Caroline, and me. She destroyed your lives. She turned Caroline. The bitch needs to die." 

"He's not gonna kill her," Stefan repeated.

"Really?" Damon asked.

"Because I am." 

Whoa. 

Okay, then.

Everybody was on agreeing terms, then.

~

I opened the door for Bonnie. "Hey, come on in." 

"I got your message," Bonnie said, following me insdie, her witch book in hand.

"Hey, you brought the grimoire, thank you," Stefan said as he walked with us.

Damon and Alaric were talking over the weapon table and Bonnie noticed. "What's going on?" 

"We're gonna kill Katherine," Jeremy answered as he walked past.