Chapter 12__The Descent

Apparently, the bite was still on Rose, and it was worse. I stood in the library, walking in at the wrong moment as Damon looked at the bite. "Definitely better. Right, Nikki?" 

Rose looked toward me as I said, lying, "Um, not bad." 

"Where's Stefan?" Damon asked.

"He left with Elena," I answered. "I was gonna go head to school, I just needed my bag because I left iit in here, so . . ." 

"You pick now as a good day to go to school?" Damon asked. "No. No, can do, but if you could play nurse for a little while . . " 

"It's not necessary," Rose said.

"It is necessary," Damon said. "Nicola might be rude at times, but she's a do-gooder at heart. Has a charade of not caring, but deep down, she really, really does. It's in her nature. She just can't resist." 

Damon left, and I looked at Rose before following him. "Damon. Is she gonna die?" 

He turned back to me. "Probably. The wolf bite caused some kind of infection and it's getting worse." 

"Like poision?" 

"I don't know, Nikki. I'm not an expert in the field." 

"I'm sorry," I said, knowing he cared about Rose.

"Death happens," Damon said. "We come, we go. Sonner she dies the better. It's gloomy as hell in here." 

He walked away, and I scoffed, shaking my head, knowing he really did care about her, he just didn't show it.

~

Rose wanted to be in Damon's room. I didn't feel like arguing, so I let her, staying with her as she said, "I hate this. I'm a vampire, I haven't had a cold in five centuries." 

"Just get in bed," I said.

"We don't get sick. When we die, it's fast and sudden and it's certainly not drawn out in illness." 

"You're not gonna die." 

"Such a human thing to say." 

I looked around Damon's room in awkward silence, and it wasn't hard to guess at why.

"You've never been in Damon's room before, have you?" Rose asked.

I shook my head, picking up Gone with the Wind, scoffing.

"Not what you expected?" Rose asked.

"It's just a room with a bed," I replied. I looked down at the white, bland sheets. "Maybe I expected there to be silk sheets." 

That got Rose to smile. "You were pretty handy with the sword," Rose said. "Last night." 

I shrugged. "My parents used to have me put in fencing. In case something like this happened." 

"You have the luckiness of family. Even if Stefan and Damon are distant by blood, they protect you as if you were a sister." 

"They're my only family," I said. "My parents . . . I don't have them." 

"One of them due to Damon," Rose said, and I gave her a shocked look. "He told me. He also told me the way he sees that look in you eyes everyday . . . that you haven't fully forgiven him, no matter how close you've become . . . It haunts him." 

I looked down, not answering. 

I had never known any of that. 

"Do you think you'll ever be loved, Nicola?" Rose asked to change the subject.