2 | Everything

"I want an ocean view, somewhere. As long as I'm next to you, I don't care. I don't wanna live my life in circles. I just wanna find an empty road. Let's get away from here, let's go"

~ This Town (Stargazing)

The party had started not long ago. Daisey's place, however, was already packed to the hilt. Red cups were everywhere, as were the hundreds of people from school I could barely recognize. The girls had asked me to distract Nicholas once he gets here until they were ready to confront him privately. Honestly, I wanted everything to be over already. I desperately wanted to be home watching Friends like the basic bish I am. 

The only reason I was helping the girls out was Daisy being quite persuasive. We all sat approximately close to each other in English and one day, out of the blue, Daisy asked me if I wanted to help them bring Nicholas down. I was heavily reluctant, but she eventually convinced me that it would be good for everyone, including the man in question if he learned to do better. So, I agreed to help. It was going to be my contribution to charity for the year. 

Currently, I sat in the living room with a bottle of water in my hand. Not trusting anyone in the house, I'd brought my own water bottle and hadn't taken my attention off it since I got here. My eyes were set on the front door, waiting to catch Nicholas the moment he walked in. What I was going to say to him to fill in the time was beyond me. Truth to be told, it made me nervous to know that in a few minutes, Nicholas and I were going to be alone...we were going to talk. Oh, God. Could I really carry a conversation with him after all this time?

As I continued to battle with myself mentally, Nicholas walked in through the front door. I quickly stood, walking to catch him before he disappeared amongst the crowd. 

"Nicholas, hey," I greeted softly; I could barely hear my voice.

I was shocked when he looked away from his friends to lock eyes with me. A small smile pulled at his lips. "Iris. I didn't know you'd be here."

An uninvited chuckle escaped my lips. "I'm the one who invited you, no?"

His smile widened, a hint of reminiscence present in his eyes. "You are. I just didn't expect you to come, that's all. You hate crowds."

Sadness engulfed my thoughts; he remembers something about me, which I didn't know how to regard. So, I just shrugged. The painful nostalgia of our deceased friendship could wait. "That was a long time ago, Nicholas."

He regarded me with curiosity. "Are you saying you don't hate crowds anymore?"

I let out an annoyed grunt when a bunch of people passed by me, aggressively brushing past my back. They were the reason I hated crowds, which he was spot on about; no one knew what personal space meant and everyone acted like a bunch of toddlers. I promise I am not always this irritable. Taking a deep breath to calm myself, I suggested, "How about we go somewhere quiet?"

His eyebrows narrowed. He must've caught on to how I reacted to the people who rudely pushed me. Okay, I may be exaggerating as they mildly brushed past me, but the still invaded my personal space, which absolutely warrants my irritation in my opinion. Nonetheless, he was watching me with intrigue. "You don't mind talking to me?"

I feigned an oblivious scoff. "Why would I mind talking to the hottest guy ever?"

He let out a soft chuckle, a familiar sound I didn't know I missed until now. When he took a step forward, a reminder of how much I hurt when he abandoned me flashed before my eyes.  I needed to step away before I burst into tears like the walking emotional wreck I am. Thus, before he could get too close, I turned and walked to the private area by the dorsal of the backyard, careless as to whether or not he was following.  When I felt the calming breeze from the large trees, I let out a sigh of relief and sat on the bench, surrounded by colorful flowers.