Epilogue

SEVEN YEARS LATER

IRIS

I woke up with the blinding sun shining in my eyes. I groaned, realizing that there was no way for me to go back to sleep unless I got up to shut the curtains. I decided to just get up and make some coffee. Before I could do so, I turned to look at Nick, who was fast asleep next to me. As creepy as this may sound, whenever I awake before him, I like to just look at him. I don't know, he was so handsome. And he was all mine. He was so good to me. He made me want to be a better person, a better girlfriend, a better friend and a better daughter. He believed in me and he was always honest, too. He wasn't a yes man and I loved him that much more for it.

People were still talking about Nick, unable to comprehend how his story unfolded the way it did. Nonetheless, it had calmed down over the course of the past seven years. Most of the press we got, especially Nick, was positive, but once in a while, the negativity would find it's way in and we'd deal with it together. If we've learned anything in our time together, it's that communication is the key to a healthy and intimate relationship. I sound like a counselor, don't I?

I loved our life. I worked as a nurse at the grand hospital near our condo; we'd moved back to Northern California last year after Nick graduated law school. We got two brown golden retrievers, Charlie Brown and Honey Bee when we moved in together after college. They were the light and bane of our lives. Charlie was a bit darker than Honey, though his personality was anything but. Honey was a bit quieter and shyer whereas Charlie still had the personality of a hyperactive puppy. We always brought them over every week when our families got together for our infamous Sunday dinners. They both made everything better.

I ran my fingers through Nick's soft thick hair, smiling at how peaceful he looked. He'd just been made a junior partner at his firm last week. He was such a hard worker. He chased his dream down until he owned it. He was quickly making a name for himself as a renowned defense attorney and I couldn't be any prouder. I've basically become the president of the Nicholas Grey fan club if you can't tell. I was his number one fan and I'll always cheer him on for as long as he'll let me.

Before I could look any creepier, I forced myself out of bed. As soon as I walked into the living room, I was jumped by Charlie. Honey came up behind him and started licking my fingers as I started laughing at Charlie's energy.

"Hey, baby," I cooed, leaning down on my knees and scratching the back of Honey's ear. Then I turned to Charlie, who was panting at me excitedly with his tongue hanging out. Another laugh escaped me when he decided to lick up my cheek. "Hey, Charlie."

When he started to bark, I got up and quickly put on my shoes. I put on both of their leashes and took them outside so they could handle their business. After they finished, I took them back inside and quickly put their breakfast together. While they ate, I went to the restroom to clean up the mess I currently looked like. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, finally pulling my hair into a high ponytail.

Nick normally walks Charlie and Honey in the morning and usually, I'd come along, but I wanted to let him sleep in for a bit today. So, after they finished breakfast, I took them for a walk around the block. With Charlie being Charlie, I got stopped about ten times on a walk that should take like ten minutes. But I loved him and so I didn't care about the interruptions. I loved the attention he got and when people asked for pictures, I allowed it. Honey, too. Although she was quiet, once in a while, people would notice her and when they did, my heart would freaking melt. She was my beautiful girl and her recognition lit up my world.

We finally got home about half an hour later. I fought with Charlie to get him to stay still while I cleaned his feet. He kept licking my face. He was too adorable. Honey was obedient and just so sweet. My babies.