15 | Heartless

"You're the rain on the roof in the summer. You're the leaves in the fall changing color...You're the reason my heart's beating faster...You're the only one I'm after"

~ My Side of the Fence (Dan + Shay)

Right after the phone call ended, I had a meltdown. I told my parents everything then, revealing to my dad for the first time that I'm, or rather had been in a relationship with Nicholas Grey. His face turned bright red in that way it does when he's trying to control his anger but it's slowly slipping through his fingers. I immediately explained to him about Nick's innocence like I'd done to mom. He was still mad at me for putting myself in danger, but he relaxed nonetheless. Then I told them about Mrs. Grey being in the hospital and my mom started crying again. Dad then insisted on coming along with me, to which my mom agreed through her tears. They wanted to be there for their old friends and I thought that was admirable of them. Mom still cried through the whole car ride, with my dad trying to comfort her as he drove. I sat in the back with my heart stuck in my throat as I tried to come up with the perfect thing to say to Nick. I was still fruitless and restless when dad pulled into the hospital parking lot. 

Before dad could turn the ignition off, I ducked out of the car and swiftly walked into the hospital.

After talking to the lady up front, I rushed into the elevator and chewed on my nails until I got to the 7th floor.

The second the doors opened, I hurried down the hall, looking for room number 1021. When I finally located the room, I froze in my spot. I stood there facing the door, but not knocking. My heartbeat was out of control, but my breathing was calm. It hit me at that moment that I wasn't sure if I was ready to see him. I know he needs me, but suddenly, I started panicking about the whole thing...about us. I guess I was there for quite a while because my parents eventually caught up with me. 

Dad placed a gentle hand on my shoulder, grabbing my attention. "You okay, pumpkin?"

I sniffed for no reason and gave him a sweet smile. "Yeah. Sorry, I don't know why I'm just standing here."

His smile told me he understood how I was feeling. I leaned into him for support, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Thanks, daddy."

He kissed my hair. "No big deal."

I turned to catch mom watching us with teary eyes, her hands tightly gripping the flowers we'd bought on our way. On the verge of crying myself, I reached for her and brought her into our hug. "I love you guys," I whispered.

"We love you, too, baby," my mom said, pushing my hair behind my ear.

Taking a large breath, I pulled away from the hug. "Let's go in, yeah?"

The encouraging pat my dad gave me was all I needed to step up and knock lightly on the door.

"Come in!" a husky male voice I recognized as Mr. Grey's yelled from the other side.

I gulped and turned the knob, pushing the door open. A small gasp escaped me, another lump latching in my throat. 

Mrs. Grey was sitting up, laughing with Mr. Grey. There were flowers all around the room, presumably from her visitors. Hunter and Sabrina were laughing along with them, sitting in the two-seater couch with a coffee mug in their hands. Mr. Grey sat in the chair right next to the hospital bed. He and Mrs. Grey were holding hands. Everything seemed to be okay, better than okay, actually, judging by the atmosphere. A large breath of relief automatically escaped me. 

Mrs. Grey turned and caught us, a large smile splitting her lips. Immediately, my mom cried, "Evelyn, oh, thank God you're okay!" She rushed to her side, bringing her into that tight hug she gives when worried.