Near x Reader: It can help

(Y/n)'s POV
He suddenly heard a voice in his ear speak, "down by the pond, I lay. Deep in your mind, I play."  He fell from the old tree house onto a hard root from that very tree. He got up as quick as he could and began to run back to his aunt's house, but before he could get there-"
      My book fell out of my hands onto the ground.

    "Watch where you're going." A sad small voice spoke with a sniffle at the end. I look toward the voice and find it's Near, the brightest child in Wammy's. He starts to walk away so I quickly pick up my book and catch up to him.

"Near, what's wrong?" I ask in a sweet voice with my hand resting gently on his shoulder.

"N-nothing." He sniffles and rubs his eye. He's obviously lying but I don't want to pressure him into telling me something he doesn't want to. So I just give him a comforting hug. Surprisingly, he hugs back instead of standing there awkward and stiff. I feel my shoulder get wet from his tears and I hug him a little tighter but make sure I'm not hurting him. He hugs back harder, as well.

"It's okay." I whisper into his ear. "I'm here for you."  I feel the tear stain spread further across my shoulder but I don't mind. I wait patiently for near to compose himself until I choose to speak again. After a few moments, he backs away.

"Thank you, (y/a). And I'm sorry about your shirt.." Near says and looks to the ground. I take a small pack of tissues out of my pocket and extract a single tissue.

"Hey, don't worry about it. Your more important. Do you think you can tell me what's wrong?" I ask gently as I dab his wet, tear-stained cheeks with the tissue. He looked around quickly then looks back at me.

"Yes but can we perhaps go someplace more private? I just don't want anyone else knowing my issues." He responded.

"Of course! Lead the way." I offered a small but sweet smile. It looked like he tried to smile back but couldn't, he just looked nervous and cracked, like a vase someone dropped but hadn't managed to completely break. It tugged at my heart but I ignored that feeling. We were in a secluded area of the court yard. We sat at a heavy, grey, weathered, stone bench. It wasn't very large but we were as close as we could possibly be to one another. I waited patiently for him to speak and tell me what had happened.

"It was Mello." Was all he said for a moment, which actually made me quiet angry.

"Again? How many times must he pester you? You never even do anything to him. Sorry, you may continue." I said sharply. My small burst seemed to make him smile nonetheless.

"It's just how he is.." Near whispered, staring at a rose next to the bench.

"What did he do? Or was it something he said?" I pressed, feeling my rage flood my veins.

"He found out I like someone... and who. Then he proceeded to convince me she hates me and I'm unlovable. Who would ever want a freak like me?.." he trailed off at the end, his eyes brimming with tears again. I bit my bottom lip as I felt my heart drop to the ground and shatter.

"Near. Don't you dare listen to a thing he says. You know he's wrong. Don't let him get into your mind." I grabbed his hand and rubbed my thumb in circular motions on the back of his hand. This caused him to look up at me and study my expression, to check if I was lying. Soon, his face turned a bit pink and he looked away again.

"He's probably going to start crying again, you inconsiderate shit-bucket," my mind screamed at me. "You're just making it worse you goddamn asshole. This is why no one fucking likes you." I sighed at the voice and looked down. Near looked back toward me, concern swimming in his tear brimmed eyes. I smiled softly at him.

"Don't worry about it, Near. Anyone would be lucky to have you. Mello's just taking cheap shots to get you down. You're smarter than him and he's jealous. That's why he does it, i tell you." I said while rubbing his shoulder than giving him another hug. Pouring all of my emotions into it. He did just the same. "You know, you should try reading. Fantasy books are fun. Visit another world, without Mello." I suggested once we pulled apart. "It can help." I smiled. He returned it. Brighter and more full of life.

"Maybe I will. Thank you so much, (y/a). You'll never know how much I appreciate you." He said as we both stood.

"Aw how cute. Now, we should be getting to dinner." I rustled his hair.

———————1 week later ——————

"(Y/a), I need to talk to you.." Near said as he entered my room.

"Oh um sure. Whats up?" I asked, trying to hide my nervousness, as I gestured him over to my bed and set my book down. He shuffled across the room, eyes glued to the floor and didn't sit down. He looked around the room, studying every object like he's never been in here before. He looked everywhere except at me. "Near, are you ok?"

"Just nervous." He muttered but he continued before I could respond. "I really like you, (y/a). I know you do not return the same feelings but you should at least know mine. I'm tired of Mello holding it over my head because if anyone's going to tell you, it should be me." I couldn't move for a few moments. I just sat there. Staring at him, shocked.

"Near, you sure can be oblivious sometimes." I said, standing up.

"Excuse me?" He responded with. I just rolled my eyes and kissed him. He kissed back. Once we pulled away, he spoke. "What are you trying to say?"

"Oh my god Near. I do like you back. For the longest time I've liked you." I said.

"Oh. So are we an item now?" He asked looking slightly perplexed.

"Yes, Near. Unless you don't want to be." I smiled. He smiled back and tackled me in a hug.

"Don't be ridiculous, (y/a), of course I want to be!" He exclaimed and that was the start of our life long relationship.

                                      Word count: 1100