Chapter 2: Sneaking Around

Once everyone is asleep, I wrap a cloak around my shoulders and pick up a lamp. I carefully put on slippers and walk out into the castle. I tiptoe my way down to the dungeon, a part of the castle I haven't been to. It's dimly lit, as expected, but we haven't had prisoners in years. Thankfully I don't have to deal with anyone else and I can get straight to my point.

I tap on the bars of the dwarf's cell. "Hey, are you alright?"

He opens his eyes and looks around. "Well, aside from being chained to the bloody wall, I'm doing great."

"I'm so sorry, I want to be stuck here just as much as you do."

"Why are you here? And who are you?"

I brace myself for what's next. "I'm Miraz' daughter." Then I quickly add "But believe me when I say I don't agree with anything he says or does."

The dwarf furrows his brow. "I didn't know he had a daughter."

I sigh and set my lamp down softly. "Not many people do."

The dwarf lifts up his shackled hands. "So are you helping me escape?" He looks at me with hope and fear in his eyes.

I look around for keys or anything that could help, but I see nothing. "I want to, I really do." The dwarf's hope fades from his eyes. "I'm really sorry, I just have no way to."

"That's fine." The dwarf puts his arms down. "What's your name?"

"Melanie. And you are?"

He looks at me curiously before replying. "Trumpkin."

"Nice to meet you." He nods back and I feel the question pushing its way up my throat, almost like I'm trying to hold back vomit. "Are you really a Narnian?"

Trumpkin nods. "And despite what your father says, I'm not the only one left. Or a vermin."

My eyes light up. "So you'll be ok, then? Someone will come save you?"

He shrugs. "Hopefully, but right now I'm not trying to get my hopes up."

"I'm sure you will. I've read all about Narnians, you know."

"Oh, really?" Trumpkin says, unamused.

I look down. "Sorry. I don't mean to be running my mouth so much. I never have anyone to talk to." I think of Caspian and wonder what happened to him. "Do you know where my cousin is?"

He shrugs again. "I ran into him in the woods with a friend of mine, but then your guards found us and accused me of trying to kidnap him." He notices the worried look on my face. "Don't worry, he got away. I don't know where he is, but I can assure you he's safe."

After a moment of silence, I clear my throat. "If you do manage to escape tomorrow, and you happen to see Caspian again, could you tell him I miss him?" My eyes fill up again.

Trumpkin sighs. "Of course, but I can't guarantee anything."

I nod. "I understand." I slowly stand up and grab my lamp. "Thank you for telling me what you know."

"You're welcome."

I turn around and start to walk away.

"Melanie?"

"Yes?"

"You're going to make a name for yourself. Mark my words."

I turn my head around and give a weak smile. "I wish you the best of luck, Trumpkin."