Chapter 14: Finding a Purpose

Meeting someone in person that you've read or heard a lot about can be quite nerve-wrecking. No matter how many times you rehearse what you're going to say in your head, nothing ever goes quite the way you planned. This is exactly what it's like to meet Aslan, or whomever you would equate to meeting Aslan. I had dreamt of this moment for years, but since I never thought it would actually happen, I wasn't nearly as prepared as I should've been.

"I know you've been having many inner conflicts lately," Aslan says.

I nod, due to the fact that I can barely speak.

"You have questions, I'm sure," he says.

"Many," I say nervously.

"Well, I think I ought to tell you where the Telmarines came from, and what your purpose is," he says, and I nod back.

"The Telmarines are from a place called Earth. They came here by mistake through an open portal to Narnia. They were terrible pirates who thought any land they landed on belonged to them. They did nothing but torture and suck the life out of any creature who didn't conform to their way of life."

My heart breaks. "Why didn't anyone stop them?"

Aslan continues. "They tried. There weren't as many Narnians then as there were in ancient times."

"So what's my purpose in all this?" I ask.

"You're very important to Narnian history, Melanie," he says, "You will go on to become one of the greatest heroes it has ever known. You've already done so much."

"You mean my adventures aren't over?"

Aslan smiles. "Not in the slightest."

***

"I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome," Aslan says to the Narnians, "We have some rather important things to discuss."

I'm seated with Edmund in the sea of people, our fingers intertwined. Lucy is next to me, scrunching her nose every time Edmund rests his head on mine.

"I don't get it," she rolls her eyes.

Susan and Caspian laugh. They, too, are sitting together.

"First off, congratulations on your victory. You should all be proud of yourselves," Aslan beams, "I'm going to be recognizing a few of the many important people who helped us defeat the Telmarines."

Edmund squeezes my hand. "That's you."

"To the Pevensies," Aslan says, "For coming back in our time of need."

"No, it's you," I nudge him and proudly watch as the four Pevensies rise out of their seats. The crowd gives them thunderous applause.

"To Trumpkin and Reepicheep," Aslan announces, "For their immense bravery."

Reepicheep bows bashfully from Trumpkin's shoulder.

"I've never seen Trumpkin look so happy," Lucy giggles.

"And finally," Aslan says, "To Caspian and Melanie, we couldn't have won the war without you."

I stand up with Caspian and can't control my tears of joy. My heart seems to be at its fullest capacity, I don't think I'll ever be so happy again. I cherish every second.

"Caspian," Aslan says, "Because of your courage and loyalty, I have decided to crown you King of Narnia."

All creatures bow instantly. How incredible! I'm so proud to call him my cousin. He deserves it more than anyone else in the world.

"And Melanie," Aslan continues.

I freeze. Was I really going to be-?

"Your determination and gratitude for others are unlike anything I've ever seen, so I am crowning you the new Queen of Narnia."

I guess I was wrong when I said I couldn't have been happier.