Chapter 4: An Unexpected Ally

"Stop! Please, I'm not going to hurt anyone, I swear!" I throw my hands above my head and pin myself against the tree.

"Shh! I can't be seen, we'll both be killed!" the stranger says in a frantic whisper.

He's a boy who looks a few years older than me. He has blond hair and pale blue eyes, and he's dressed in strange clothing.

"Okay, I'm sorry."

He extends his hand. "Do you need help getting up?"

"No, thank you." I stand up and cross my arms. "Who are you anyway?"

"Peter." He puts his sword away.

Peter? Why have I heard that before? "Peter what?'

"Pevensie. And you are?"

Peter Pevensie! High King of Narnia! I had read so much about him, but how was he standing in front of me now? I thought he left centuries ago. And wasn't he a bit older?

"Melanie, daughter of Miraz, unfortunately." I hold out my hand towards Peter. He hesitantly shakes it. "So you're really Peter the Magnificent?"

He stands up straighter. "I am. What was all that noise?"

"I ran away," I say softly. 

Peter looks impressed. "What for?"

"Miraz kept me a secret from everyone,  you know, since I can't be his successor. He was humiliated by me, actually."

"Sorry to hear that."

"It's fine, I'll be alright." I look around. "What are you doing here?"

Peter moves closer to me and speaks in a low voice. "I'm scoping out the scene for a supply raid."

Supply raid? He must be with an army. 

"Are you alone?" I ask.

"I am now, but there's a whole group of Narnians who need food and weapons."

My eyes widen. "I can help!" Peter's face lights up. "I know every area of the castle and its grounds."

"That would be amazing! Are you sure you're up for it?"

I smile excitedly. "Of course I am! What are the weapons for?"

Peter smiles back. "We're planning on overthrowing your father's throne so Caspian can bring peace between Narnians and Telmarines. It's the only way to get things back to the way they used to be." 

I'm silent for a moment.

Peter raises an eyebrow. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I just don't know how I feel about aiding in the murder of my father." It was a tough decision. My father easily could've killed me when I was born, but on the other hand, he wasn't exactly a real father figure to me anyway. "Wait, you said something about Caspian? Do you know where he is?"

"He's back at camp with the rest of us. The Narnians really like him."

I breathe a sigh of relief. Caspian was not only safe, he was with Narnians who respected him and wanted him to get what he deserves.

"Look, I understand if you don't want to help, but I think you should at least come stay at our camp. It's better than living alone in the woods. Plus, you'll see your cousin again and we can fix up that cut."

I look over at Peter. His eyes shine with the plea for my help, knowing that another inside source will allow him to get the job done.

"No." I stand up straighter. "I want to fight."