Dead Men Tell No Tales

"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness." 

- Joseph Conrad

Elek followed Ambrus for quite a awhile, listening to him talk and puff at his pipe. The man was daper in every regard. His overall demeanor was high-class and his style, also so. Yet, despite this, it was clear to Elek now that this man would not be considered "noble." His speech was too frank and his day-to-day too risqué, for lack of a better word.

For instance, the first place he took Elek to was a brothel.

Nervously, Elek felt himself choke on his own saliva when he realized exactly where Ambrus was taking him. Pulling like a helpless child at the sleeve of their parent, he abruptly stopped his friend dead in his tracks.

"Ambrus, we can't go in there. It's...indecent."

Ambrus quirked an eyebrow, clearly amused at his new friend's antics.

"It didn't seem to bother you too much last night."

He said, simply. Elek sputtered. He wanted to tell him that in the mask he felt safe and here he felt, exposed, but he was simply dragged along into the whorehouse. Elek had never seen many naked women before. It wasn't something he was particularly interested in. Sure, he'd had sexual thoughts towards other women before, some in fact quite vulgar and explicit. But the thought of having to become that close to someone physically, quite frankly repulsed him.

Now though, he had no choice but to take his surroundings in. Women, of all different shapes and sizes, were now bare to his eyes. He felt his face flush as Ambrus strolled into the place as though it were any other establishment. His brash and uncaring manner further set Elek into a tizzy. Ambrus noticed his behavior and chuckled lightly.

"Ah, ever the prude, are we?"

Ambrus brushed past all of the women to a stout and very red-faced man in the back. Elek attempted to keep his eyes averted from any of the women leisurely going about their business around them, keeping close to Ambrus, like a lost puppy.

"Ah, Ambrus. Good to see you, as always. And who might this be?"

Despite his obvious reluctance to the entire situation, ever the good gentlemen, Elek offered his clammy hand to the man.

"Elek, sir. Friend of Ambrus."

The man took it, shaking it hardily and smiling.

"Well, any friend of Ambrus is a friend of mine, young Elek. And what do I owe the pleasure of your company?"

Ambrus's eyes twinkled darkly.

"Actually, I came here for my package."

The man's demeanor immediately changed, a secretive and serious look now painted on his red and pudgy features.

"I see. I'll retrieve it for you. Please, wait in the first room to the left."

Elek was thoroughly confused as Ambrus lead them into the aforementioned room, not stopping once to explain his behavior to his younger friend. Once they sat down, Elek couldn't contain himself anymore.

"Excuse me for being frank, but what exactly are you picking up here?"

Ambrus turned his head sharply then, his eyes failing to hide his amusement.

"Do you remember what the condition of your debts were?"

"Yes, of course. I pledged my life to you, sir."

Ambrus crossed his long legs, placing his hands behind his head in a relaxed fashion.

"Do you believe in monsters, Elek?"

Elek tilted his head in confusion, knitting his eyebrows together and swallowing hard.

"Uh, no, not really. They're just stories you tell to children to keep them in bed through the night."

As he finished, Ambrus huffed, amused.

"What if I were to tell you that these creatures did, in fact, exist?"

Elek felt his hands begin to shake, his mouth began to dry.

"Well, I'd say you were lying to me, sir."

Ambrus let out a hearty laugh, and met Elek's eye. As he did, the door swung open, revealing a young lady. Elek gulped and began to nervously sputter as she drew closer, naked from the waist up. Ambrus, paid it no mind. He stood, moving his body to circle around the young woman, his fingertips gracing her shoulders as his other hand locked the door to their room.

"Do you know why no one ever sees me with a woman Elek?"

He asked, as the woman stood extremely still under his ministrations. He pulled her head to the side, positioning himself behind her, his face in the crook of her neck. Elek's face had begun to deepen to a dark red. Did Ambrus intend to bed this woman in front of him? Surely not.

"Because you pay for them here, sir?"

Ambrus's pale eyes flickered with a hint of humor as he brought his full lips to the woman's neck, speaking into her skin loud enough for Elek to hear.

"Because none live to tell the tale."

Then he bit down into her neck, with force.

All Elek could remember seeing were spurts of blood and the sound of screams. The next thing he saw was cherry-wood, as he toppled face first on to the floor.