The Reckoning

"We are each our own devil, and we make this world our hell."

- Oscar Wilde

"I forgive you— "

Ambrus's head snapped up suddenly at Elek's words. He couldn't believe his ears. He'd thought that Elek would surely hate him if he knew the true reasons behind his actions. If not hate him then surely bare him no feelings of affection. To forgive him so completely and suddenly just seemed almost---too easy. He noticed Elek was watching his every reaction, his eyelashes were long over his eyes, which now held a glint of something Ambrus was unfamiliar with.

"---IF you destroy those vampires from the theatre. Kill Victor and his friends. Stop them from hurting innocent people...do this for me, and all will be forgiven."

Ah, now that was more like it.

Ambrus had no real desire to end Victor's life, nor his theatre family. Furious with him for hurting Elek? Yes. Would he kill him if he crossed him again? Perhaps. The statement hadn't been a complete lie. But, all the same, Ambrus would have liked to have kept the violence to a bare minimum. Which is why he opted for semi-empty threats.

Although not exactly finding their choice of hunting exactly pleasant. He didn't disagree with Victors sentiments, even if they were a bit, primitive and dark. He didn't regard it quite the same way Elek had. He understood it was because his mortal sensibilities still clung desperately to him. He also knew that no amount of explaining or reasoning would pull that gleam of hatred and justice from Elek's eye. But, by God, he'd try.

"Elek—you can't ask that of me. You have no idea what that'd mean. Ask me for anything, but that."

Ambrus half begged. He wanted the forgiveness, he wanted Elek's approval. Despite being the superior one, he felt sorely out of control. Perhaps it was that Elek's human soul still lingered in him, pushing his need to appease Ambrus out from his need for vengeance.

"I thought you wanted my forgiveness? This is the way to do it and you flatly refuse?"

Ambrus clenched his teeth at Elek's words. They were innocent enough, but by his mannerisms and tone inflection it seemed Elek was well aware of the corner he'd backed his master into. Knew prodding would eventually come to relenting.

"Please---don't do this. Don't ask this. You don't understand yet. I know it seems cruel, and it is, I know. But this is the way things are, Elek. Killing them now will do nothing, nothing at all. They are a mere drop in the bucket. Killing them will do no grand justice."

Elek's eyes flashed with fire and Ambrus knew he was beat.

"Silencing one drop is better than none at all."

--

Elek wouldn't relent until Ambrus gave in, and gave in he did. It wasn't long before they were standing at the threshold of the theatre, which had died down for the night of its festivities. Elek bleakly and bitterly thought about how they must've killed another poor soul on that very stage tonight. Fresh anger and anguish shattered his psyche, causing him to redouble his advance on the building. Beside him, torn and in a state of distress Ambrus followed as if he were walking along to a silent dirge.

No words had been exchanged after the begging had ceased. Elek knew Ambrus was at his mercy. He knew now the power he held over his master. He'd never again be the whimpering and sobbing mess he'd been the night he'd ran away with Ambrus from the theatre. No, not anymore. Something had changed within him, he could now see. He could feel an ominous reckoning within himself approaching. From here on out, nothing would be like the way it was before.

Ambrus nearly shook beside him, or so he thought, but Elek wasn't sure if he was simply imagining it. Elek had this preconception of Ambrus as this elegant brute, who simply took what he wanted with no regard to anyone or anything. Someone who exuded confidence and power. Now, he saw someone else. An orphaned vampire, smaller seeming, afraid, much more complicated. Perhaps he saw someone he cared for, but he wasn't entirely sure. It didn't matter right now, anyways. Elek needed to focus. Needed to channel his anger, now.

He ripped open the closed doors with such force that the beam that barred it broke in violent projectile shards into the theatre's reception hall. The sound was deafening and echoed through the silent hall. Elek knew the other vampír were asleep, he knew they'd never see or hear them coming. Cowardly? Perhaps. Efficient? Certainly. He turned to Ambrus, a look in his eye Ambrus would later learn meant trouble.

"What are you waiting for. Burn it down."