4

"Mom, can you please tell Raoul that he doesn't have to come into the dorm with me? This is embarrassing

"Mom, can you please tell Raoul that he doesn't have to come into the dorm with me? This is embarrassing." Alexandra 'Alex' Crane tried to balance a purse and laptop bag in one hand and a giant suitcase in the other while cradling her cellphone against her shoulder. Her parents' personal assistant, Raoul, struggled to lift some of her seemingly endless luggage without ripping his suit.

"Honey, you need his help," her mother cooed in her thick New Jersey accent on the other end of the line. "You can't carry those heavy suitcases all by yourself!"

Alex groaned and ended the call. Everyone else carried their own stuff, no matter how rich they were. Drivers just left their bags on the curb in front of the dorm. It wasn't as if anybody was going to walk off with your shit. But her parents, Robert and Carol Crane, babied her as though she were one of their Chihuahuas.

Ever since she'd started Bridgeport, Alex had straight up lied about her parents. She claimed they lived in East Hampton, that her father was a cardiologist and her mom threw small time charity events. She had no idea why that was the story she'd come up with, but anything was better than the real story, which was that her parents were going bankrupt and still trying to keep up with the Joneses. Everyone at Bridgeport bought it, except for Jasmine, who last year had answered Alex's cell phone when she wasn't in the room and had a lengthy conversation with Mrs. Crane herself, who was of course calling from Rumson, New Jersey and not East Hampton. That was one good thing about Jasmine not coming back: at least her embarrassing family would remain a secret.

"You really don't have to help me, after driving all this way," Alex smiled apologetically at Raoul. She didn't even know how her parents could still afford a personal assistant but she guessed it was all part of the facade. Luckily she had gotten a full ride scholarship to Bridgeport, otherwise she wouldn't even been attending this year.

"It's fine," Raoul replied in his baritone voice, but Alex thought she detected a slight groan when he dropped her bags and headed back to get the next round from the car.

When she unlocked her dorm room door, her best friend, Robyn, who had perfect, rich parents (her mother was the governor of Georgia, for God's sake) smirked as Raoul fussed over exactly where Alex's oversized Louis Vuitton duffel bag would go.