36

Alex rifled through her hockey bag and pulled out a bottle of Henny

Alex rifled through her hockey bag and pulled out a bottle of Henny. "We have to celebrate," she announced dramatically. The three girls sat exhausted on the floor of Waverly dorm room 303, Kae and Alex from the stress of DC, Robyn from the stress of not being at DC.

Kae watched as Alex poured alcohol slowly into each of their glasses. She kind of felt like she had at the Black Saturday party—warm, gooey, and included. This was what she'd dreamed life at Bridgeport would be like, and now it was real. Her dreams had come true.

At least, she felt that with Alex. Robyn still seemed a little cold. Sure, as soon as Kae had come back in the room and told Robyn the news, she'd quickly run over and given Kae a huge hug, saying how eternally grateful she was that she hadn't named her. But there was still some unfinished business between them.

"To the new year at Bridgeport," Alex toasted. They clinked glasses.

"And," Robyn interjected, "to us putting this whole Jasmine thing behind us."

"Right," Alex agreed.

"I didn't even know that was upsetting you guys so much," Kae ventured.

"It's a long story."

"There were rumors," Robyn explained. "People were talking about why Jas was kicked out. Some said I did it, others said Alex did. Neither of us knew what to believe."

"Speaking of rumors," Alex began. Kae noticed that Alex's eyes were tinged red, and her fingernails, normally polished and buffed to perfection, were bitten down to nubs. "Um, did either of you hear anything about me and Mr. Jordan?"

"No," Robyn answered a little too quickly. Kae gave her a puzzled look.

Alex rolled her eyes. "I mean, I know you both know. Anyway, I've been having this...this thing with Mr. Jordan."

"Did you sleep with him?" Robyn asked.

"No. But I almost did." They were silent for a moment. "But, um, Quincy caught me coming off his boat yesterday," Alex continued evenly, pushing her hair behind her ear. Kae noticed a huge hickey on her neck. "And I'm wondering how he knew I'd be there."

Kae mashed her lips together and noticed Robyn was doing the same thing. She hadn't said a word to anyone, but Robyn certainly had. Although...how had Robyn found out? Did Alex think she had told on her?

"I had no idea," Robyn repeated, not looking at her directly.

"Okay," Alex muttered.

"Are you okay?" Kae asked. "With Mr. Jordan and everything?"

Alex shrugged. She wasn't sure what to say. She wished she could be more adult and tell them the truth, that while she'd been watching Michael undress, she'd actually missed the way boys her age with fumbled around nervously, getting tangled in their clothes, like they couldn't believe their luck, being with a girl like her. Michael's obvious experience had freaked her out. She wished she could go back to him and confidently say, Hey, big boy, take me now. But she couldn't. She wasn't ready. Of course, she wanted to tell Robyn and Kae all of that, but she'd told Robyn that she'd lost her virginity years ago to some  guy during Spring Break. What would she think if Alex admitted the truth now?