19

Later that evening, before dinner, it began to pour

Later that evening, before dinner, it began to pour. Kae snuggled under the light blue blanket her grandmother had knitted for her and read passages from her English book. A key suddenly jingled in the door, and Robyn burst in, carrying a bunch of shopping bags. Kae quickly wiped her eyes on the scratchy wool of the throw, making them even redder than they already were.

"Surprise!" Robyn sang, pulling a vertical Louis Vuitton signature leather makeup tote out of one of the bags. "I got new nail polish and a whole bunch of makeup, too. Are you going to be around for a while?"

"Uh, yeah." Kae paused, confused. Was Robyn talking to her because Alex wasn't here, or was this part of Robyn's little suck up fest? Kae had gotten another e-gift certificate from Robyn that afternoon, $50 for iTunes. It was beginning to feel like the twelve days of Blackmail Christmas.

"Cool." Robyn stopped the docking station—Kae had been listening to some sad, dreary song—and put on some trap music instead. "So, how was your first day of classes?"

"Um, good," she responded mechanically, leaning back against the wall behind her bed.

"Look, I just want to thank you for saving my ass from public school," Robyn giggled, handing Kae a pint of Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra, her favorite. How did she know?

"Well, I mean..." Kae trailed off. "I didn't say anything, one way or another."

"I know," Robyn replied happily. "And that's okay. You didn't have to say anything to Mr. Jordan. When did they say the DC hearing was, anyway?"

"Monday."

Robyn opened her own pint of ice cream and dug into it with a plastic spoon. She cocked her head and studied Kae carefully. "You know, your hair looks really cute like that," she finally said.

"Are you crazy?" Kae touched her head. It was raining, and her hair had exploded into a frizz ball. She'd tamed it into a ponytail, but curly wisps were sprouting out everywhere, dancing messily around her face.

"Yeah, I really like it. It's like...deconstructed," she said. "So, the meeting with Mr. Jordan was okay?"

Kae grunted. "I guess."

Robyn tried to get a spoonful of ice cream out of the pint container, but it was too cold and the plastic spoon kept bending. "So do you think maybe you'll cover for me in DC?"

"Maybe," Kae said. "I'm not—"

"Of course you will," Robyn interrupted. "And I need you to do me another favor. Well, it's not a favor, really. It'll be fun."

Kae stared at her. Another favor? Wasn't Robyn supposed to be kissing her ass? Sure, she hadn't exactly given back the beauty basket or the iTunes gift certificate, but come on!

Robyn stabbed her spoon into the ice cream, finally making a dent. "This might sound a little strange, but I'm wondering if you'll flirt with my boyfriend a little."