45

Robyn crossed the quad in a haze, knowing that she looked like something from a horror movie with her makeup running all over the place, but she was too distraught to care

Robyn crossed the quad in a haze, knowing that she looked like something from a horror movie with her makeup running all over the place, but she was too distraught to care. She felt like her heart had been thrown out a two-hundredth-floor window to splat on the pavement below, so it seemed appropriate that she should look comparable. Even her perfect wool skirt now seemed ridiculously short, and her riding boots, bought with the hope that they'd inspire Chris into some sort of sexy riding instructor fantasy, looked unbearably slutty.

She could feel everyone's eyes on her, but contrary to popular belief, she was not comfortable in the spotlight. One of her mother's repeated quotes was Never let them see you cry. Robyn had been grateful to be sent to boarding school in the sixth grade, three years before her mother was even elected governor, if only to escape being reminded daily of the importance of proper posture and behavior. Basically, Robyn's parents had missed her entire adolescence, but she was probably better off because of it. She hated being home now, if that was what you called the thirty-plus-room mansion decorated entirely with museum-quality furnishings and lots stuff that belonged to the state of Georgia and not them.

When Robyn opened the door to room 303, Jasmine was sitting at her desk, her iBook open and her fingers typing furiously, a pair of reading glasses perched on her perfect nose. "What's wrong? Is it Chris?" she demanded. She was barefoot, wearing black leggings and a cropped tee that showed off a slice of her concave stomach, her blonde hair pulled back in a loose braid. She looked like a girl who would never in a million years get dumped—something Robyn could no longer claim.

Robyn burst into tears again. "He dumped me!" she wailed, still incredulous but already resigned to it. I was dumped. I was dumped by Chris, she repeated in her head, as if repetition could make it more comprehensible.

Robyn could see from Jasmine's face that she was already prepared for disaster. Of course people were gossiping already. Chris probably had an underground fan club just waiting to spread the word the second he became single again.

"Why? Why would he do that?" Jasmine grabbed the box of tissues from her bedside and brought them to Robyn. With Alex so caught up in her own life and her fancy love affair with Mr. Jordan, Jasmine was the only real friend Robyn had.

"Because he doesn't like me anymore." Robyn grabbed a tissue and blotted her face. "I don't know. Because he thinks I'm repulsive?"

"You know you're being ridiculous." Jasmine squeezed her shoulder with her French-manicured hand. "He could not find anyone more gorgeous than you if he spent the next fifty years searching. I can't imagine what he's thinking. He must be insane." She shook her head in disbelief, as if Chris breaking up with Robyn was as incomprehensible to her as the latest practice SAT they'd all been assigned. It made Robyn feel a teeny bit better.

"You're right," Robyn agreed, mimicking Jasmine's sense of indignation. "What an asshole." It felt a little better to be angry instead of crushed. Fuck Chris. Fuck midget Kae. Fuck whatever the fuck was going on between them. She sat down on her bed and tugged off her heavy boots. They made her legs look too skinny anyway.