61

By early evening, Kae and Chris were nestled into a cozy table at Balthazar, a posh and bustling Soho restaurant where the waiter didn't bat an eyelash when they ordered wine

By early evening, Kae and Chris were nestled into a cozy table at Balthazar, a posh and bustling Soho restaurant where the waiter didn't bat an eyelash when they ordered wine. Kae leaned back on the red leather bench seat, enjoying the way Chris looked next to her in the high-ceilinged, dark, oak-paneled room. The tables were close together and filled with well-dressed hipsters enjoying drinks and gearing up for a night on the town. A giant, antique mirror hung above their heads. They ordered a plate of fries and Kae sipped her glass of wine.

"I'm gonna outside and check my messages. Make sure Jordan hasn't called to check up on me or anything." He rolled his eyes. "I'll be right back. Don't eat all the fries without me, okay?"

"I'm not promising anything, I dream about these fries."

"I'll hurry." He gave her a quick kiss on the lips. She was so kissable! It was nice to get off campus for once and to be alone with Kae without having to worry about Robyn hearing about it. He made his way through the tiny spaces between the crowded tables, thinking how nice it would be if he and Kae could go to a real Parisian restaurant. His heart pounded as he started to think of her in his parents' Paris apartment, lying on the small French bed, completely naked.

As he stepped into the busy Soho street, throngs of evening shoppers bounded down the street carrying Bloomingdale's signature brown paper bags and sleek black Barneys bags. It took him a moment to recognize the girl standing in front of him, wearing a bohemian-looking long-belted cardigan that was on the verge of unwrapping. Chris imagined the look on his face to be similar to the shocked one on Jasmine's when she turned around and saw him. What the hell was she doing here?

Jasmine quickly regained her composure, however, and pulled the cigarette out of her grinning red lips. "Thought you were on probation."

Chris stared at her and in a flash of memory recalled seeing Jasmine when he and Kae walked out of the woods together. So she had seen. "Are you going to snitch on me again?"

Jasmine narrowed her carefully made up eyes. She took another drag on her cigarette and thought for a moment, determined to choose her words carefully. "I know you're here with Kae. I see her inside. But you know what?" Jasmine's face quickly assumed a self-satisfied expression, and Chris clenched his fist in his pocket. "Kae just hooked up with somebody else last night. How's that for a sweet little girlfriend?"

Wait, what? For a minute, Chris's stomach fell, but then he realized where this information was coming from—scheming ass Jasmine Sanders, bitter that she wasn't the one everyone was talking about at the moment.

"Fuck you. I don't believe anything you have to say." He pulled the door open to go back inside. "You've got some real issues, you know that?"

"I'm not the only one." Jasmine smiled sweetly at him, a smile that made his toes curl.

Making, his way back to Kae, Chris forced himself to calm down. He just wanted to enjoy the rest of the day and forget about that jealous bitch outside. Of course she'd say something like that about Kae. She was sweet and kind and honest—three qualities one would never attribute to Jasmine.

"Quick, sit down." Kae grabbed Chris's hand and pulled him into the booth. "Look!"

Chris turned his head and looked out the window, expecting to see Jasmine's lying eyes staring back at them. Instead, he caught a glimpse of her walking down Spring Street on someone's arm. Mr. Jordan.

"Do you think they saw us?" Kae asked, clearly worried about Chris's probation.

Chris nodded, still staring out the window. "They may have seen us, but I have an idea." An idea he was definitely going to use to take Mr. Jordan down.