66

Thank God it was Friday

Thank God it was Friday. Kae had looked for Chris all day on Thursday but hadn't been able to find him. She'd wanted to talk to him about Robyn and getting kicked out of Café Society, but given how pissed off Robyn was, she hadn't wanted to just run around campus asking everyone if they'd seen him. Chris was probably just spending his time with Credo, enjoying the glorious blue skies before they turned cold and gloomy. But it was a little strange that he was MIA. They'd had such an amazing time in New York, and they'd flirted all through class on Wednesday afternoon. Didn't he miss her?

Now it was Friday, which meant art class again. She slipped through the door and saw Chris pulling his pastels and pad of thick pastel paper from his supply shelf. She came up behind him and ran her hand across his shoulders. "Hey."

Chris raised his head. His eyes looked stressed but happy to see her. "Oh...hi." He gave a distracted smile.

"Are you all right?" Kae glanced around for Mrs. Silver, who was going around the room, checking in with students.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Chris raised his eyes. "What's up?"

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Kae smiled at Zendaya, who was just now pulling her sketchpad from her shelf next to Kae's. She raised one of her sleek eyebrows toward Chris and nodded her head. Kae felt a twinge of regret that she wouldn't get to hang out with her anymore, now that she'd been unceremoniously kicked out of Café Society. But did that have to mean her social life at Bridgeport was over?

"Here?" Chris looked dubious. 

Kae grabbed his arm, feeling another little thrill of excitement at touching him. "No, let's go to the kiln room."

Chris raised his eyebrows. "That sounds kind of sassy."

Kae giggled and pulled him into the small room around the corner from the supply shelves. It was a dark room with a single window looking out over the Hudson. Two large kilns and three small ones took up most of the space, and the room smelled like clay and dust. Shelves of pottery in varying degrees of completion lined both walls. It was a romantic place, and it reminded Kae of the sexy scene in Ghost where Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore get all wild with the clay on the potter's wheel. Mmmm. Kae stepped close to Chris and looked up at him with longing. 

Chris smiled down at her. "Is this what you wanted to talk about?"

That brought Kae back to reality. "Um, no. I just wanted to say that I've been kicked out of Café Society." The words sounded so silly. "I guess I'm not going to Boston."

Chris didn't look very surprised. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." Kae stared down at her black-and-white-plaid flats. "So," she said nervously, "are you still going to go?"

Chris let out his breath, and Kae looked up at him in alarm. For the first time, she began to think that maybe something was seriously wrong. Her palms started to sweat. Maybe he hadn't had fun in the city after all? "I'm not sure yet," he admitted.