0.3

Y/N POV

"How's my favorite police woman!" the high-pitched voice yelled from over the phone.

I brought the phone away from my ear, fearing that an eardrum might burst if I let it stay there considering the current volume the high-pitched female on the other side of the conversation was going at.

"I'm surviving." I told Irene in the flattest tone that I could muster.

I mean, I was.

"You know that's not what I mean." she said, this time softer in tone and volume.

"Well that's all you're going to get." I told her. I struggled to carry my phone and umbrella in one hand as I attempted to open the car door with my keys in the other. As much as I wanted to leave this dreaded place, I really wanted to talk with Irene over anything.

We don't really get a lot of time to chat.

"Well then, fine. Instead, let me ask you another question: Are you seeing anyone?" she flat out blurted.

The sudden question caused me to almost drop my keys on the pavement of the parking lot. She of all people should know better than to ask me that question. But I of all people should've known she was going to ask anyways.

"Irene!" I hissed at her, hoping she could feel the heat of my glare from miles away.

"Hey, I know you might still be fragile or whatever, but you need to move on. He's not coming back." she said the last sentence more quietly and softly than the rest.

"He's not coming back."

That part caused my heart to sting. I didn't even notice that I had stopped trying to open the door of my sad looking Honda and instead just standing there on the cold, dark street as I pondered over Irene's true words.

He is never coming back

"You might not want to hear it, but he isn't coming back." she repeated, letting the words sink in once again." You need to get over him and find someone new." she advised to me.

"How am I going to do that, Irene? I loved him." I solemnly said.

"Anything. A date. A hookup. A one-night stand. Just something to get your mind off him. I know he was your partner and eventually, to you, he became much more, but you need to get over him."

I sighed.

She was absolutely right. I've been in a great depression for too long now, and I couldn't let it go any longer.

"It's been 8 months now, Y/N. You can't halt your life any longer than you already have for someone that will never return." she finished.

"I know." I barely whispered.

But just how could I get over him? How could I put back together the pieces of myself that he took along with him?

"Well, on a much lighter note, how's everything at the station?" Irene asked. From the soft rustling sounds that were occurring as she was talking, it seemed as if she was probably changing out of clothes or something of the sort.