0.4

I wake up to the sound of rolling thunder, letting itself crash multiple times into the defenseless earth, causing the rumbling to vibrate not only in the soil, but my soul.

I read the clock next to my bed. It reads 2:14.

It's nothing new to me. Waking up at ungodly hours late at night. Or morning. Rather, I worry more for myself if I actually get a good night's sleep. Nightmares too vivid and real swirl through my head at such late hours, it's impossible to get a good amount of sleep anymore.

I shift out of bed, the only thing illuminating the room is the glowing moonlight as it glares down at me through my window.

Not long after, a large gurgling noise omits from the deep depths of my stomach

Fuck, I really should've eaten something earlier

I don't really any food in the house to feed myself, though. Most of the food that takes up the cabinet is all for Nala.

I glance at my jacket and fur boots in the corner of my room.

Seems like I'm gonna have to go out to find food, then

-

"How much will it be?" I ask the cashier at the front of the late-night convenience store. I place the cup of ramyeon in front.

"4,000 won." He says as he scratches his beard with irritation. I slightly cringe at the sight. Seeing the red irritation that was starting to grow on his pale skin told me that he'd been at it for awhile.

I hand the money to him. But before I leave, I realize something.

"Crap, I forgot to buy something to drink!" I exclaim in frustration.

"Do what you need to do, bro." He answers with uninterest. He moves his scratching to his pot belly. I gag.

"Whatever." I respond, turning around in search for a beverage.

After scanning the drinks for a while, I notice a figure in the corner of my eye. I don't want to make it look obvious that I'm staring, so I pretend that I'm very interested in the sport drinks sections as they bend down.

The thing about them that catches my eye is the fact that they were dressed in an all black tracksuit, a black baseball cap, a white face mask, and a pair of black sunglasses.

Like, who wears sunglasses inside?

With all the layers that they wore, I couldn't even see their face.

Before I know it, the person's neck snaps in my direction. And unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough to look away.

"Hi."

Was all they said. I could tell it was a man, considering his rich, deep voice. His voice did seem familiar, but I just couldn't tell where I had heard it from before.

"Hi." I simply greet back.

"You seem quite interested in those Gatorades." He nods at the display of sport drinks that I previously had my eyes trained on.

"Y-yeah. Late night work, that's all." I lie and laugh the comment off.

"Why don't you just drink coffee then? It's more effective on keeping you awake longer."

I try not to drop the fake smile plastered on my face. But, I can't blame the man for not knowing anything about me. I mean, we're currently talking to each other in a convenient store at 2:30 in the morning.