0.5

"I don't want to testify!" She yelled at me, slamming her palm down on the table.

The sudden rise caused a few people around us to stare at us with annoyed looks, but soon enough, they returned to their drinks and conversations.

I sigh out of frustration, running a hand through my tangled locks.

What was the point of pursuing a case if the victim didn't want to testify? I didn't know what to say or do anymore at this point.

We had been gathering evidence and witness accounts for the last few months, trying to get Jieun's story straight and make sure that bastard who violated her would never see the daylight ever again.

In investigating, we even found that this wasn't his first time. He had done it to so many women before, some even raped. He was a career violator.

Sadly, there wasn't enough evidence for when they were assaulted or raped. But Jieun was about to change that.

But then she calls my number, asking me to meet up with her at a nearby cafe. And what does she want?

To tell me she can't testify.

"Jieun, why don't you want to testify?" I ask, softly. Just a few days ago, she was so determined to go against her assaulter and bring him to justice. But all of a sudden she wants to back out?

I find it all too strange.

Her head droops down, tears starting to pool in the corner of her eyelids.

"I-I didn't tell her everything about what happened." She barely whispers, but audible enough for me to hear.

"Didn't tell who everything?" I reach my hand across the table and hold hers. She looks at it with sadness, letting a single tear slip from the corner of her eye.

"My mom. I only told her that I was assaulted that night, but I never told her about the part where I pretty much prostituted myself." She says as more tears run down.

"Why?"

"I felt dirty. I volunteered to give up my own body because we fought, Officer Y/N." She disconnected our entwined hands to wipe away at some of the tears collecting on her face.

"What if she thinks I'm dirty? Would she even want me as her daughter? Or worse, what if she blames herself for everything that happened and doesn't want me around to remind herself of my mistake?" She says, at this point, full on sobbing.

My heart shatters at the sight of Jieun, sobbing and hiccuping. She was a teenager, but still a child.

It reminded of the way she looked that very same night.

Hell, I wish that asshole was the one who died that night.

"Jieun, what happened is not you or your mother's fault." I softly say, stroking her hair as she put her head down on the table and was still silently crying.

"The only person at fault is your attacker. And the fact that you gave yourself up is not a reason for why you were assaulted. You are not dirty. And if your mother loves you as much as you love her, she won't think so, either." I conclude.

At this point, all I can hear are her soft sniffles as she slowly lifts her head up from the table. Her doe-like eyes stare into mine, puffy and glistening with tears.

"How would you know?" She asks. I know she doesn't mean it in a disdainful way, but I couldn't help but feel it did seem that way.

"Because I went through the same thing."