Chapter 5

The next morning I was awoken by Rydel screaming in my face. "WAKE UP! CHEER-LEADING TRYOUTS ARE TODAY!"

I blinked a few times. "Oh right." I looked at the time. "It's only 4 AM! There's still 3 more hours until school so I'm just going to go back to sleep."

Rydel tugged my arm. "Oh no you don't. She dragged me into her room and shut the door. "So I finally got a refill on my makeup and of course glitter," she said, pointing to the hundreds of different bottles on her dresser. "And we need to go shopping!"

Rydel grabbed some car keys. "Shopping? At 4 AM?"

Rydel tugged me to her car. "Yep. This new H&M opened and it's open 24/7."

We spent the next hour flipping through racks of clothes until Rydel screamed "Here!" and threw me a bucket load of clothes. I (meaning with Rydel giving me at least 3 pros and cons for each garment) settled on a pink flowy butterfly top, a short, flowy pink miniskirt, a sparkly blue belt, a blue flower clip, pink feather earrings, and a pair of tassel blue mini boots.

Rydel swiped my debit card and drove us back home. As soon as we got back home she pushed me down onto a chair and started to do my makeup. She applied a little mascara, put eyeshadow on my eyelids, and added lip gloss. She put my hair in a french braid.

"There!" Rydel said. I looked in the mirror, expecting a really ugly looking me. But instead I saw someone else staring back at me. "Wow," I whispered. My short eyelashes were brushed into long, thick, and curly ones. The light periwinkle eyeshadow complemented my pale skin and made my green eyes pop. The lip gloss made my thin lips into full and luscious ones.

"Wow," I said again. "Thank you. T-t-this is awesome."

Rydel shrugged and admired her work. "No prob. After all I did pressure you into going to cheer-leading tryouts with me." She tossed me something. "Put these on."

I looked at the small garment in my hand. It was short and stretchy. "What is this?"

"It's called safety shorts. Since we're trying out for cheer-leading in skirts we have to make sure no one sees our underwear, now don't we?"

"But what will my parents say?"

"No worries. I told them we joined ecology club, ugghh nature, and that they meet in the morning. So let's go before they wake."

When we got school, I followed Rydel to the basketball courts. The Lynch boys were playing basketball. "Hey guys!" Rydel yelled. Everyone turned their heads in my direction.

When the guys noticed me, Ryland said "Woah", Riker whistled, Rocky stood there, looking at me in shock, and Ross licked his lips. "Ooh-la-la," Ross said.

Rydel poked me. "See? Keep dressing like that and guys will be all over you. Metaphorically of course." She coughed. "I hope."

She took me to an empty basketball court. "Now, let's learn some moves." We spent the remainder of the time practicing. Well, actually, Rydel practiced while I stumbled and tripped alongside her.

Rydel tsk-tsk-tsked me as the bell ring. "Meet you after school here for our tryouts, 'kay? See ya!" Rydel ran to a group of girls and off they went.

During lunch Riker stopped at my corner in the cafeteria. "'Sup babe?"

"Dude!" Ross came up and pushed Riker aside. "I called dibs."

Riker scoffed and walked away. "What do you want Ross?" I asked.

"Now that you're sexy, you might as well go out with a sexy guy," Ross licked his finger, then traced his eyebrow. "Moi."

This guy is so full of himself. "Um no thanks." I walked away.

"Wait up babe!" Ross called behind me. Luckily the bell had rang and I walked to 5th.

After school Rydel ran up to me. "Hey," she greeted.

We walked to the gym where tryouts were held. This year's cheerleader captains took the stage. Only about ten people showed up for tryouts. "Hello everyone!" The blonde captain said. "Let's get right to business. "Last name A-I, go to Gianna," she pointed to a brunette. "J-R, to coach," she pointed to a strong-looking woman. "And the rest come to me," she said.

Rydel and I walked over to the coach. "ALRIGHT PEOPLE!" the coach yelled. "THE RULES ARE SIMPLE. JUST KEEP DOING YOUR DANCING TO THE MUSIC AND I WILL ELIMINATE THE HORRIBLE DANCERS. I WILL ONLY BE KEEPING TWO GIRLS. GOT THAT?" Everyone nodded.

"WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR MAGGOTS? DANCE!" Rydel and I walked to an empty spot and started dancing. Rydel danced gracefully while I stumbled along. Rydel turned to me. "Just do your skateboard tricks without you skateboard!" she whispered.

I nodded. First I spun around, then I leaped and turned, I did some flips, and a few cartwheels. There were now only three people dancing. Rydel, some ginger girl, and me.

"YOU'RE OUT!" the coach screamed at the redhead. I stopped dancing. "Wait...I got in?" The coach nodded. "We got in Rydel! We got in!" Rydel nodded and squealed.

"TODAY WAS THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR AMATEURS!" the coach yelled and walked away.

Rydel bursted into the doors at home. "Beatrice and I got in! We're cheerleaders! AHHHHH!"

Stormie said "Congrats honey!" while mother stared at me. "Really? Wow. Okay sweetheart I never knew you were into this sort of stuff. But now..." mother walked over to the albums and pulled out a picture. "I was a cheerleader too. Congratulations!" She kissed me on the cheek and walked away.

Even though cheer leading wasn't really my "thing", I felt a great love for it right now.