Chapter 7

After I swam out of the cavern, I bumped into Rydel.

"Hey girl!" Rydel said. "You having fuuuunnnn?"

I can smell alcohol in Rydel's breath. "Rydel? Are you drunk?"

Rydel scoffed. "Noooo. Just a little wo-wo-woozy..." And with that she collapsed onto the ground.

Ross was now running toward us. "Beatrice, about the kiss...um..."

I silenced him. "We'll talk about that later. First we need to get Rydel home. Get the other guys, and we'll go."

Ross nodded obediently and went off to search for his brothers.

I wrapped Rydel's arm around my neck. "How many cups did you have?"

Rydel yawned. "Oh, just twenty little cups of rice wine."

"Rice wine? Do you know how strong that is?"

Rydel shook her limp head. "N-n-n-no. But it was g-g-good."

Ross ran towards us. He had Riker and Rocky's arms around his neck, and he was carrying Ryland.

"They drank too?"

Ross nodded. "It's illegal. I know."

I sighed. "Unbelievable. Who's going to drive?"

"I'll drive. I don't have my license, but I'm pretty good, if I say so myself. And I do," Ross suggested.

Twenty minutes later we were home. The Lynches, except for Ross, fell into a heap on the ground. We almost got creamed by an RV, flattened by a truck, and pulled over by police.

"Oh, I'm pretty good, if I say so myself," I mocked.

Ross stared at me blankly. "Okay so maybe I wan't that good-"

"My goodness!" mother exclaimed. "What happened to them?"

"Drunk," Ross and I said at the same time.

Mother looked very mad and disappointed. "You are grounded."

I gasped. I've never been grounded before. "Thanks a lot," I said to Ross. He made a "what did I do?" gesture.

Ross scratched his hair. "At least I'm still free."

Mother didn't miss a beat. "You and your siblings are grounded too."

Ross's eyes widened. "But you're not my mom. I'm sure mom will just let me off with a warning..."

Mother scoffed. "My house, my rules. Now go up to your rooms."

Ross dragged his feet up the stairs. "Sorry mother," I apologized before dragging myself to my own room, having mother yell "Posture!" behind me.

I changed into an extra big white tee shirt and some shorts. I just got 'The Hunger Games' out of the bookshelf when I heard a knock. "Come in!"

Ross came in wearing nothing but pajama pants. I tried to tear my eyes away from his six pack but I couldn't.

Ross noticed me checking him out and smiled. "I can't say I'm surprised. Ladies tend to fall for me and-" he knocked a hand against his chest. "My rock hard abs."

I gave him a small smile. "Um...about the cave thing..." I began. "I...was out of character, I guess. You were just so much of a good kisser and," I bit my lower lip. "That was my first kiss. Ever. So I guess I should've pulled away...sooner, but , um yeah."

Ross smiled. "All I heard was blah blah blah good kisser yadda yadda."

"Even when I'm apologizing, you just can't stop being so full of yourself, huh?"

Ross sat down at the edge of my bed. "I'm sorry. I guess I should've asked you first before I kissed you." He swung his legs onto my bed.

I smiled. "Blondie."

He grinned back. "Nerdy."

Ross looked down at his hands. "So...may I?"

At first I had no idea what he was talking about. But then I heard myself say "Yes, you may."

Ross pulled me into a gentle kiss. He slipped his hands under the back of my shirt. My hands moved around his back. Our kiss began to get passionate when-

"Beatrice? What do you think you're doing?"

I pulled away from Ross. Mother was standing in the doorway, looking very furious. I took a look of my hands on Ross's chest and his hands under my shirt.

"Uh-oh."