Chapter Six

EUPHIE

Due to the heavy loads of work, here I am again, stuck in my office. I was busy encoding when an idea suddenly struck to my head.

"Bakit kaya hindi ako gumawa ng sarili kong game? Tutal ayos naman ako sa programming and such. At saka hilig ko rin talagang maglaro ng videogames. Pero ano naman kayang theme?"

While I was thinking of a theme, a paper I was working on caught the corner of my eye. I took the paper out from the pile. Hmm.. car loans..

"That's right!" I snapped my fingers. "Car racing ang magiging theme ng videogame na gagawin ko!" I said and fist pumped. "Ay teka!" Since I'm often forgetful, I wrote on my sticky note and posted it on the wall just in front of me.

"Meeting with Mr. Dimwit - 6:00 pm. Don't be late!"

I was about to continue on my work when I heard a loud crash coming from outside, parang may bumagsak. I went to take a peek at the source of the sound and I saw Maggie kneeling in front of Sir Leon, picking up the papers and office supplies that were scattered on the floor.

Oh no.. Maggie.

"This is all your fault! If you have been looking on your way, none of this would have happened! You're so stupid! You were asked to do one thing! ONE THING! And yet you can't do it right??"

"But sir--" she was about to answer when she was interrupted.

"Ohh.. are you rebutting?" he said and laughed without humor. "Are you stating that what I'm saying is nothing but a false acquisition?? Hah! You have no right Ms. Humilde! Dahil mababa lang ang posisyon mo dito at mas mataas ako sa'yo! You're insignificant and your absence won't be a loss to this company!" He pointed his index finger at her face.

He's gone way too far! In fact, siya ang walang karapatan para pagsabihan si Maggie ng ganun dahil lahat ng empleyado dito ay may sari-sariling parte sa pagpapatakbo ng kumpanya, and for Maggie's part alam kong she's worked very hard in this company. Ito ang nakakainis sa kalbong 'to eh, nabigyan lang ng opportunity bilang head ng team dito sa Miami, akala mo na kung sinong boss na makapagsalita, makapag-utos, at makapangutya sa mga empleyado. All I know is that he just came from another branch and he was only transfered, but ever since he came here, hindi na talaga naging maganda ang pakikitungo niya sa aming mga nakakababa sa kanya pero sa mga nakakataas sa kanya? Maamong pusa lang naman ang dating niya. Napakasipsip.

Tears started to stream on Maggie's cheeks. All of our co-workers felt pity for her but no one even dared to help her in her situation. Probably because of the incident involving a former employee here. His name is Oliver and like the other employees, he is very hardworking and dedicated to his job. He is very nice, friendly, and to top it off, he is helpful - always willing to help us in any way possible.

He always does very well at his job that the boss already issued him a promotion by the end of December. When it's already decided, we planned not to spill the beans for it was meant for him as a surprise for Christmas. Everything was planned, but no one had the presumption that something bigger was to come that day.

We were all ecstatic at the day of the surprise - except Sir Leon, who didn't look happy at all. Well hindi ko naman din talaga siya masisisi dahil sa mismong araw din na yon ay may possibility na mababa siya sa posisyon kung mappromote nga si Kuya Oliver, and if I were him, hindi rin siguro ako matutuwa. But on that very day, no signs of Oliver showed up. Later that night, we all heard about the news that his wife died of cardiac arrest. We went to his wife's wake to give him the support he needed and tried to help him to make him feel at least at ease and so we stayed with him until the burial.

The boss gave him three months of leave as consideration for his loss and state. Unfortunately, we never heard anything of him within those months so Sir Leon took the opportunity to voice out his thoughts about the consideration.