Chapter Nine

SLATE

I strained my leg to sprint and ran as fast as I can to Euphie. When I came in contact with her, I hurriedly yanked her arm and led her to the other side of the lot, away from my car.

I turned around and saw the raging car crash itself on the rear of my Hennessey Venom and screeched again to flee. I tried run after it but she stopped me.

"Slate 'wag mo nang habulin delikado yan!"

"What do you want me to do?! I can't just let that bastard get away with this! Now let me go!" I shook her hand from my sleeve.

"No!" She shouted firmly and tightened her grip. Her eyes were so fierce that it bore into me. "What if something happens to you, huh? Do you think it'll help in your situation?" She exhaled. "God, Slate, it's not my car, I know, but think about your safety too. Walang nagagawang maayos ang padalos-dalos." She let go of me and placed her hand on her forehead.

I looked down and turned my head to the direction where the car disappeared. "Damn that moron. He will pay for this."

"How did you even know it's a male?"

"I assumed."

I was pretty sure I heard her sigh. "Come on, let's check your car."

I followed her as she started walking. I saw the dent made by the front bumper of the car earlier. I examined it closely and was surprised to see that its damage wasn't very serious as I thought it was.

"Ano kayang droga ang tinira ng lokong 'yun? Parang pinagtripan lang yata ang kotse mo pero hindi pinuruhan." She pointed at some scratches at the right side of the car.

"Kung ano man ang balak nun, nagkamali siya ng piniling tao para lokohin dahil triple ang igaganti ko sa kanya. Malaman ko lang talaga kung sino siya."

"Were you able to see the plate number?"

"No. Did you?"

"I only saw the letters, BVS. I didn't catch the other half."

"Damn it." I winced and kicked a fragment of my car's tail light that was lying on the ground. My gaze followed it as it flew and saw a piece of paper beside where it landed. I walked towards it and picked it up.

My eyebrows furrowed at what I read. Euphie went beside me and took a peek at the piece of paper that I was holding.

"Whoops, looks like the King's ride is broken..." she read.

Then she looked up at me. I could feel her intent stare. "Slate do you have any business with this person?"

"No." I didn't look at her.

"I'll cut the crap." she said. "Who was that?" She asked firmly.

Nagdadalawang isip ako kung sasabihin ko ba sa kanya o hindi. Alam kong sa sandaling sabihin ko sa kanya kung sino ang kutob kong muntikan nang dumisgrasya sa amin, kakailanganin ko din ikwento sa kanya ang sikretong tinatago ko sa trabaho.

But I guess I have to, especially now that she looks very eager to know.

I took a deep breath.

"A competitor in racing."

-----

And there it went.

I actually expected a different reaction from her but as soon as she learned that I'm a professional race car driver, she flipped out. She then told me about her goal to create a car racing themed video game and asked for my help because for one, she doesn't know how to drive and so she lacks the proper knowledge. I was hesistant at first because that would mean that I would have to give her the permission to do a full coverage on my surreptitious hobby and would also mean that she has to come with me whenever I have my races for her research.