Chapter 7

Journey Hayes-

Before we knew it, 9:30 had rolled around and we were late. Fashionably late, of course. While Denise did her makeup, I was doing my hair since my makeup was already done. I had brushed my hair up into a half-up-half-down style, whereas Denise left her hair in its naturally curly state. Once I was done with the style, I styled my baby hair and proceeded to put on my accessories, which were gold bamboo earrings, a gold link chain, as well as a gold watch and some circle framed shades. "Ooh! You look like you're ready to do a hit and snatch someone's man," Denise said, gassing me up. I laughed and thanked her while I examined myself in the mirror. I grabbed my lipgloss off of the counter and put some more on my lips since my lips had already obtained the moisture from the last time I had put some on.

I glanced down at my watch and noticed it was almost 11:46, which meant we were a little over two hours late. "Alright, Neicey. It is now 11:47 and we gotta get a move on before we miss the entire party," I said, fluffing through my curls. "Alright, I'm done," She said while closing her tube of mascara and she put the rest of her makeup away. She fluffed through her curls and examined herself in the mirror.

"You look so cute, Denise! JoJo's gonna be gawking at you all night long," I teased and she blushed while laughing. "Hush," she said.

We made our way out of the bathroom and we went to get our purses and other things of that nature before we sprayed on perfume and made our way out of the house

When we arrived at the Degrate's house, there were cars parked bumper-to-bumper on each side of the street. "Damn, we should've left earlier," Denise said driving up and down the street trying to find a parking space. "Just park in the driveway," I said, referring to their neighbors that were across the street. "Girl, I'm not going to park in nobody's driveway. Are you crazy?" She asked and I shrugged, "Perhaps,"

Finally, Denise had found a parking space between two cars that weren't too far away from the Degrate property. Once she parallel parked, we did a check.

"Boogers?" The both of us tilted our heads back and flared our nostrils so we could see inside of each other's noses. "I only see the post of your nose ring," She said and I reached into her glove compartment, grabbing a napkin. "You have a booger," I said and she grabbed the napkin and looked in the mirror to clean her nose. While she did so, I lifted my arms up to smell myself and I smelled just like my degree deodorant as well as my Victoria's secret perfume. I reached into my purse and grabbed a piece of Winter Fresh gum and I handed her a piece.

We got out of the car and Denise locked her doors before the both of us walked into the house. The smell of liquor, chronic, and different body odors lingered in the air. I guess folks don't believe in showering before leaving the house...

People were body-to-body, bumping and grinding to the beat of Rhythm Nation by Janet Jackson. We maneuver our way through groups of gyrating bodies until we finally reached the kitchen, where Dalvin, Joel, and Cedric, amongst a few others, were located. "Look who finally decided to show up!" Dalvin said which caused all of their attention to divert from one another to both me and Denise. "I told you we'd be here! We're just fashionably late, that's all," I said, giving everybody a hug. "That's believable because for once Jay, you look decent and Denise..mm," Joel said, checking her out and I kissed my teeth, hitting his shoulder. "Don't play with me, boy." He laughed and grabbed Denise by the hand, taking her elsewhere, leaving me, Dalvin, and Cedric in the kitchen alone. "Where's De?" I asked.