Chapter 8

Journey Hayes

I stepped into the living room and saw Brenda dead asleep on the couch as an old re-run of the 700 club played on the television.

I grabbed the remote off of the couch and plopped down on the love seat and switched it to 'Yo! MTV Raps'

"I was watching that."

"You were just dead asleep

"You were just dead asleep."

"I wasn't sleep, I was resting my eyes." I sighed and changed it back to the 700 club before standing up and going into the kitchen.

She needed to hurry up and take her ass home. What was supposed to be a weekend, turned into damn near a whole week and honestly, I was sick of her.

She was always in my business and she always had some shit to say. Especially regarding Donald and I. She felt the need to include her input in shit that didn't have anything to do with her.

She gone make me snatch that nappy ass wig off of her head.

While I raided the fridge, the phone started to ring and I went ahead and answered it before her nosey ass could.

"Hello?"

"Hey, JJ. Um, your school sent a letter over here to Sunny's and I figured you might wanna know what it was about," Quinita says on the other line.

"Could you open it up and read it for me please?" I hear some rustling and sounds of paper ripping before she sighs heavily.

"Okay, let's see... Dear Ms. Hayes, we are sending this letter to inform you that move in day is September 9th.." She continues to read the letter and I sighed, facepalming myself.

September 9th was too soon. I was enjoying my time here at home and things were starting to get better and better between Donald and I and I'd only have two more weeks to cherish and value that.

"Hello? JJ?"

"Yeah, I'm here, Ma. Um... thanks for calling and letting me know." I spoke into the phone.

"No problem- I'm talking to your sister do you wanna say hello?" I smiled at the sound of Wesley's voice in the background. "JJ, your brother wants to speak with you."

"Put him on the phone," I smiled. I heard a bit of shuffling before I heard his voice. "Hey sis."

"Hey, Wes! How's everything going?" I asked. "Everything is great! Mom and Sunny took me shopping earlier, then we got ice cream and I went to go play basketball with Maxwell, then we went to the arcade and we just got back a little bit ago." I smiled at the excitement in his voice.

"Well, that sounds like a great time. You know I'll be back out there in two weeks," I said and he went silent on the other line for a few moments. "Wes?"

He sighs heavily, "At this point, you need to drop out because I'm tired of you leaving us," He says and I laughed, shaking my head. "I know, Wes, but I'm going to try to come back soon, though,"