Chapter 24

Journey Hayes

One week later.

"Hey, Champ. How's the packing process?" Dad asks, standing at my doorway and watching as I put my cassettes, vinyls, and CD's in a box. "It's coming along, slowly but surely. I'm just gonna pack up my knick-knacks then I'll wait until Sunday to pack my clothes since I leave on Tuesday." I was dreading that day desperately.

But I was dreading today even more.

Today would be the day I'd be telling Donald that I'm leaving and I didn't know how he was going to react and I didn't know what was going to happen between us.

I was hoping that everything between us would be cool but I had a feeling that it wouldn't.

"You need help with anything?" He asks and I shake my head. "Nah, I got it. I don't have much left anyways." I close up the box and I grabbed my tape and I taped the box closed before grabbing another box and packing up my magazines and books.

"How does everyone feel about you leaving?" Dad asks and I sigh. "Everyone knows except for Donald." He furrowed his eyebrows. "What the- Journey, why did you wait so long to tell him?" He asks. "Have you thought about what would happen between y'all once he finds out? Did you even consider his feelings?"

"Yes, I have thought about what could possibly happen between us and it's messing with me right now because I'm telling him tonight. I don't know how it's gonna affect us and I'm scared because I've fallen for him so hard and he's fallen for me and it hurts me because I'm gonna be the one that crushes him once I tell him that I'm leaving." Tears spew from my eyes and I quickly wipe them.

"I don't know what's gonna happen." I sniff and I look up at him. A sympathetic look is on his face and he sighs. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it."

"It's my fault because I should've told him when I first found out but I didn't know how to. I was afraid of hurting him but in reality, that's all that's gonna happen once I tell him."

"Hey, don't be so pessimistic about it. I mean, he might take it better than you even think. Just, don't be so negative about it. Whatever happens, happens and just take it as a learning experience. Alright?" I nod my head.

I was gonna miss my Dad and his encouraging words. I didn't know how I was gonna survive college all by myself without him but I guess that was the beauty of adulthood and being on your own. You learn to face your problems head on and find your own solutions to them instead of having help from everyone else.

"Thanks, Dad." I say and he kisses my forehead. "No problem. I'm gonna let you get back to packing. Holla' if you need me." He stands up and makes his way out of my room, closing the door in the process.

I sigh and I stand up and finish putting my books and magazines in the box and while doing so, my phone starts ringing. I look at the caller ID and I see the DeGrate's home phone number and my heart sinks to my stomach. I take a deep breath and clear my throat before I answer the phone. "Hello?"

"Wassup baby? What you doing?" His deep, nasally voice rings in my ears and it brings tears to my eyes. "Hey, nothing much. What about you?" I ask, wiping my eyes. "About to grab something to eat with JoJo and them. I just wanted to call and check up on you. Have you eaten? If not I can bring you something to ea—" I chuckle and cut him off. "I'm fine, babe. But, I need you to do me a favor tonight." He chuckles.

"You want me to sneak in your room again and come and lic-"

"No, fool!" I laugh and he does the same. "Then wassup?" He asks and I could feel myself getting sad all over again. "Uh... M-meet me at the cliff at 8." I say as I feel myself getting choked up.