Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The word consume could mean a few things in this context. It usually meant taking instead of not producing a food source. It could mean to theoretically consume the girl's soul. Like eating her leftover memories.

But there was something more to what he was saying than that. This was a man who got off on the unexpected. He liked pushing the boundaries of disgust and fear.

Varian imagined the man was average and lonely in a world he'd created to escape from reality.

However, he couldn't quite escape himself.

"Consume?" Varian whispered the words, surprisingly not afraid to say them but anxious to hear the answer.

Why was he anticipating something like this? What was this feeling that trailed up his back and shot up his arms? The hairs on the back of his neck and on his arms stood on end, followed by goosebumps.

"The flesh is always tender. Never too chewy or tough. The flavor ranges. It's always unique."

The man's hands slid under Varian's shirt. They squeezed softly on the flesh of his belly. "I like this part the best. It's not too fatty but not too thin either. Just the right amount to sink your teeth into."

Varian yelped when the man pinched his side. "I'd suspected you were on the chubby side."

Varian's breath was shaky. His hands bawled at his side. He clenched and unclenched them. He licked his lips.

"That's what you meant then. You eat them."

"Was it that hard to guess? I thought it was quite obvious."

"Not to me. There weren't that many signs."

"Ah, but that's where you're wrong. You just weren't looking hard enough."

He stepped away from Varian and for a second, Varian thought he was going to explain further about what signs he'd missed. However, instead of doing that, he dragged Varian to the tub and shoved him down to his knees.

His hands collided with the sides of the tub. He braced himself for the fall. His knees smacked into the hard concrete. They stung. The brace hadn't made the impact hurt any less.

He bit his tongue, stopping the stream of curse words he wanted to spit out.

The knife was thrust into his face. The tip stopped a hair away from his nose.

"Take a good look at it now. Do you see the craftsmanship? The beauty in its form. How it gets your attention just by simply existing?"

Actually, Varian hadn't even bothered looking at the knife. It had been a weapon to defend himself, not something to admire. But because he wasn't stupid to argue with the man one more time, he took his time to look at the knife's...ordinary features.

It was a standard knife to his knowledge. What exactly could he say about it? It wasn't like he was acknowledged about types of knives and their functions.

They were used to cut things. He didn't know what else to say about it.

His warped reflection gazed back at him. Soulless eyes looked back at him and an almost cool expression covered his face. Behind that face, behind every mask he had ever worn, there was a man that should have been disgusted by the things his captor had said and had done.

Varian looked up at the man. The mask, white and devoid of any human emotion, was interesting. Interesting in a way that stole Varian's attention and made his thoughts disappear. He just wanted to stare and stare.