Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Varian knelt down and rushed to untie the rope wrapped around Mary. It wasn't hard to pull off as the knots were pretty loose already. He gave them a hard yank and they fell away from her. She scrambled out of them and pulled off the gag tied around her head. She coughed and spat all over the floor. The rag used to gag her fell to the floor.

Varian didn't pay attention to it as he kicked it away. He grabbed Mary into his arms and held her so tight he might hurt her. But he couldn't stop. He couldn't believe she was alive. She looked bruised up, but she wasn't dead.

"Varian?" She cried as he hugged her.

"Yeah," he choked out a dark laugh. "It's me. I can't believe you're alive."

He thought he'd lost them both.

He looked around the closet. "Is—"

Mary grabbed him by the shoulders. She stared him straight in the eye, but he was still trying to look around. "Varian. Look at me."

He stopped and finally looked at her.

She shook her head.

Tears fell down her face. "She's not—She's dead. I'm so sorry."

Varian slumped. Mary tried to hold him up, but it was no use.

The last shred of hope was gone. But it was good he had Mary. At least she had survived. At least he still had someone.

Mary suddenly jumped up. "We got to go. They're gone right?"

Varian was dragged off the ground. He floundered for a second, not knowing what was going on. But Mary didn't notice how confused he looked. She dragged him over to the nightstand by the bed. She pulled out the drawer and grabbed a pair of keys stuffed inside.

He stared confusingly at the drawer. "How did you—"

She grabbed his arm again and yanked him through the door. "We can't do this right now. We have to get the fuck out before they come back. They've got my car parked down the road."

She was frantic as she ran through to the living room. She ignored the mess on the floor and grabbed the first pair of shoes she saw. She yanked them on and then tossed the other pair she found to him.

Varian was too shocked to move. He stood above her as she tied the shoes onto her foot. She looked up at him.

"What are you doing?" She kicked the shoes toward him. "We've got to fucking go!"

"Mary, it's snowing outside."

She growled in frustration. "So? We can fucking make it. Hurry! Before they come back!"

She grabbed his ankle and tried to force his foot into the shoe. He still thought it was a bad idea, but he couldn't say no. He wanted to get out of there as much as she did.

He pulled the shoes on. As he did so, Mary tossed him a jacket and he put that on too. After she put on her coat, he followed her to the front door. He thought it was a little odd that she knew where the front door was, but she might have seen it when they brought her in when they'd kidnapped her as well.

This time when the door was flung open, he was prepared for the cold. The jackets weren't enough to keep them warm for long. Though, if what she was saying was true about her car, they should be fine. He hoped.

They ran down the invisible path. Mary ran like lightning and while Varian was quick on his feet, he wasn't as fast as Mary. She'd been in track since middle school. It showed.