Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Urine ran down Hazel's leg, forming a puddle at her feet. Her eyes were pink and her lips swollen from crying.

Varian couldn't look away from her.

He knew he was in danger, but he never thought it would come to his family, friends...and not his girlfriend. His mistake had done this and he couldn't take back what he'd done. He'd put them in a line of fire and never told them. He hadn't known they would be targeted.

Even though he didn't even know it himself.

"Punishment," they said.

He forgot the other person was there.

He just now noticed the tears in his eyes.

"Punishment?"

It was hard to form the word. They were all sick. Fucking disgusting.

"It's not because of your behavior. He just likes it."

They crept up behind him and settled their hands on his shoulders. "The quest for your safety didn't end. It's changed."

This wasn't the same as before. It was different. They could see that he was not the same person when he'd first come here and they'd changed the rules of the game based on that.

Their hands drifted to his thighs. "I've seen them. Your life doesn't matter to you. But theirs do."

The scars pulsed like they did when they were first cut. The feeling of pushing the razor into his skin came back to him. His hand trembled.

They called for the man. "I'll prepare dinner. Don't be so hard on him this time."

The man dropped his grip on Hazel and Mary's hair. "He isn't weak like you make him out to be. You underestimate his tolerance for pain."

He walked between the chairs, avoiding Hazel's mess. He took Varian's chin into his hand and leaned in until the nose of the mask touched Varian's. They pushed at the man's head. "Stop. You're frightening him."

He laughed. "Isn't that the point of all this?"

They flicked at the man's mask.

"Fine. Fine." He ruffled Varian's hair as he pulled back. "A little scare but not too much."

Words of anger and disgust poised on Varian's tongue, but he couldn't bring himself to push them out. His eyes drifted from the man's mask to Hazel and Mary. His stomach quaked and the room spun. The puddle of urine crawled and spread its vein-y arms out. It reached out looking for anything, like it was searching for help to take back to Hazel. Mary was silently sobbing, her hair matted and her makeup running down her face. Something, maybe an eyelash, had fallen into her eye and had caused it to swell up like a ripe cherry. She could barely keep it open.

The door opened and closed. The man dragged his hand across Varian's shoulder. He pulled him close, pressing his body to his. "This is going to be good. Really good."

Varian pressed his fingernails into the palm of his hand. The man pressed his nose into the curve of his neck, the man's skin burning into his own. Something wicked settled below, masking the shock, turning the sour fear to a sweet adrenaline. The man's arm slithered across his abdomen and stilled. Through the thin shirt he could feel the heat. The skin that did touch was blazing like a skin burn.

Hot breath fanned over his ear. "Choose one. I've been waiting a long time. I just couldn't make up my mind."

It was hard to speak. "F-For what?"