Chapter 1: Aptitude Test (Edited)

"So today's the day," my mom's voice startles me. I look at her blankly before realizing that she was talking about my aptitude test.

"Yes," I reply quietly.

"Are you nervous?"

"No," I say, "Should I be?"

She smiles before saying, "Not at all." Her smile was soft and comforting; the perfect abnegation smile.

As she left the room, I was once again left with the unending sea of thought regarding the test. I'm almost positive my test isn't going to give me Candor; it's simply too easy for lies to fall from my lips. Sometimes, lying is as easy as breathing. If I were honest I would have told her that I didn't get any sleep last night. I stayed up thinking about what my results would be.

I made my way downstairs for breakfast and see both my parents already sitting and eating. Sitting down in my chair right next to Mom, I absently pick at my food. Her arm brushes mine and I almost laugh at how thin it looks in comparison. Due to their selflessness, the Abnegation always put the needs of others before their own. People like my mother let their selflessness dictate every aspect of their lives to the point where they would sacrifice their own health to help someone else.

Being raised in Abnegation, I was meant to be just as selfless, but I only ever pity the people who would allow themselves to deteriorate for people they don't even know. Sometimes it made me feel guilty. Why couldn't I be Abnegation enough to serve others before myself?

"Eat your food (y/n)," my father voice rumbled, startling me from my thoughts. I picked up my toast and took a huge bite. It was bland, flavorless. Rolling his eyes, he continues eating his food.

Finishing my toast, picked up my plate and my mom's, heading into the kitchen to do the dishes.

My mother snuck up behind me, her soft voice whispering, "Don't worry about it. I'll do them."

Dad, who is now reading the newspaper, says, "Yeah, you don't want to be late."

"Alright," I said quietly.

Standing off to the side, I watch as Mom clears the table and Dad hums quietly to himself. It's days like this that I feel guilty for wanting to leave them.

"I'm going to stand at the bus-stop," I say as an excuse to leave.

"Alright, hon," My father said absently.

Mom nods and I make my way out the door and down the street. I'm not actually going to take the bus. I haven't taken the bus since I was eight. Instead, I start a steady jog past it and toward the city.

When I was younger the run took a long time, about half an hour. Now, it only takes me about ten minutes. As I run, the buildings emerge from the morning fog, looming over me. It didn't distract me from the slow building sense of dread building in the pit of my stomach.

I run past building after building until I reach my school. When I walk through the doors I realize that after today, I'll probably never walk these halls again. I'm not too sad about it though. I mean, it's school we're talking about now.

~time skip~

Since all classes were cut in half, the day went by pretty fast. Now that I'm sitting in the cafeteria waiting for my name to be called, I almost wish it would have gone by slower. Not that it would help much. There's nothing I can do to prepare myself for this test.

With every name that's called the more nervous I got. I closed my eyes and tried not to focus on my surroundings. I take a deep breath and try to slow my heart-rate.