Chapter 2: Choosing Ceremony (Edited)

On my way home after the test, I almost got hit by the bus because I was too lost in thought, worrying about the Choosing Ceremony tomorrow.

What should I choose?

Amity? The agricultural faction known for valuing peace and compassion. No. They're just a bunch of hippie tree huggers that would probably get on my nerves fast.

What about Erudite? The faction that values the pursuit of knowledge above all else. Nope. I can't even fathom why I would even think about joining them. They're just a bunch of power hungry nerds.

How about Dauntless? The faction that values acts of courage. Mom says they're crazy and reckless but I like the idea of running around doing crazy things.

As I continue to walk, I turn my options over in my head, wondering what my best would be.

Should I just stay in Abnegation? The faction that values selfless acts above all else. It's not that bad here. Just super boring and plain, but perhaps the monotonous life I would lead in Abnegation would be good. Tori did imply that because I'm different that I could be in danger. Would I be safe in Abnegation?

I curse myself for not being normal, for not having one faction meant for me.

A subtle breeze tugs at my loose Abnegation clothes, tearing me away from my thoughts. It felt pleasant, a welcome distraction from the stress of the choice I would need to make. It danced across my skin before leaving as quickly as it had appeared, leaving me alone with my thoughts once again.

Pushing my thoughts to the back of my mind, I walked up to the front door to my house and take a deep breath before entering. I found my mother and father in the kitchen, already preparing dinner for tonight.

"Hey!" my father greeted me. My mom turned around to offer me a pleasant smile before turning back to what she was doing. "How did it go?" he asked.

"It went about as good as I could expect," I lied. "How was your day?" I asked, attempting to turn the conversation in a different direction. To my parents, I would only seem like perfect Abnegation behavior, worrying about others before myself.

"Same as usual," my dad answered nonchalantly. My mother nods absently, too absorbed in the task at hand to pay attention too much. She grabs the bowl of vegetables she had finished preparing and went to set it on the dining table where there were already plates ready for each of us.

My stomach rumbles loudly. I guess I hadn't realized how hungry I was. Sitting down in my spot at the table, I waited for both of my parents to sit down before turning my attention to the food at the center of the table. It's the same as usual, plain chicken chicken, boiled vegetables, and a slice of bread.

Politely, my mother served my father and I a portion before serving herself. I noticed the small portion she gave herself, but said nothing about it. She would save the left overs for the end of the week when she makes a trip to feed the factionless by herself.

Quickly, I cleared my plate of all the food on it. My parents weren't even halfway through their food when I stood up to wash my dish in the kitchen sink. The steam rose from the hit water, warming my arms and face as I scrubbed the plate.

I began to do the other dishes when I felt a hand on my shoulder, gently pushing me to the side. My mother squeezed in beside me, taking over my chore with a soft smile gracing her features.

"It's okay, Mom, I can do the dishes tonight," I tried to argue.

"No," she disagreed. "You've got a lot to think about. Go to your room and get some rest." I froze in my spot. She had no way of knowing what my test result was. For all she knew, I could have gotten Abnegation, but the way she spoke implied she knew this wasn't the case.